My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

RJB
Volunteer Poster

Re: My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Postby RJB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:12 pm

Souns like a stuck disk to me.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Someone messaged me while I finally got some rest did the hydrolic fluid in the transmission have to be bleed? I know I looked to see what it took and it was jd303 but saw nothing about bleeding it. I'm gonna look when I'm feeling better and see what I can find, but as soon as I put the fluid in it, it. took off going and the lift went back to running. Maybe the transmission is sealed and can't retain the air. Guess that's my next task. Thanks again!

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks RBJ. Im thinking that too but hoping not. At least its stuck where it will go. I can load it up easier if I find someone to work on it.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:04 am

Saw this method to unstick the clutch if there is a plate stuck. Think I'll try this as soon as I'm well enough to try it. Was hoping to have it ready this weekend and working it but it didnt happen. Maybe I can have some luck with this and it will work. Especially since it has fluid in it now and will hopefully lube it and get any gunk off of it so it will work. What do you think ? Worth a try...
Tractor Ernie
Volunteer Poster
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Heres how we do it all the time (fool proof)

I hook the pto shaft to a 5' mower (just the shaft )

I start the tractor 1200 rpm

PUSH IN THE CLUTCH

I jamb the pto into #1 with my foot and pop goes the cluth

We have done over 8 of them this year alone.
The clutches get stuck, while they sit in the container for a month.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi again, just thought I'd mention my latest issue not and see what anyone thinks about it now? Maybe the screen or the throw out bearing is coming CV to mind now. Wish there was somewhere I could take it to and have a complete service of it. I decided while it would still go and pull the disk and box blade to go ahead and finish the yard at the house I'm having remodeled that they were supposed to do so I can try to recoup some of the money I have in it. It worked fine here. So I went to kisd it on my trailer as soon as it drove up onto the trailer it quit pulling again. I made sure everything was in gear, checked the lift for the 3 point hitch it worked and tried the PTO, It turned really slow in some gears and only a half a round at best in others. Being I had the tractor up in the front end could that have to be something like a blockage in the strainer or filter if it has one? I need to buy a book I guess for it but if someone could send me pics like before I'd appreciate it. I need to know where the strainer is on mine and I guess a guide to changing and cleaning the transmission good before I have it tore down. Any help will be appreciated I hate ri make a yard ornament out of it just wish I could work on it myself more than a day hear and there. Also to check the screen does the fluid have to be drained? 90 percent of it is new oil that I may be able to strain if it has to be drained. It's funny how it went to not pulling, finding it extremely low in fluid, replacing it and then it wouldnt stop pulling to that and now back to not pulling. Finding my exact tractor repair on here has been a job! YM 2010D
Thanks,, again Garland

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am

the PTO, It turned really slow in some gears and only a half a round at best in others.

That indicates a mechanical problem- not hydraulic/powershift (since the PTO does not require anything hydraulic to operate).

Typically that is a stripped splined coupler on the clutch shaft or a bad clutch/pressure plate. I dont have time right now to read though all of the previous posts to see if that applies here but I will later.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Ok thanks the original issue is the tractor stopped going. Then the clutch pedal linkage was adjusted by someone who borrowed it and it went back to working for a while. Then it stopped on me. I found the JD 303 was very low. Filled it and then the tractor the lift and Bush went back to working but the clutch pedal quite working and the tractor will take off and the clutch wont work. Then I as advised bought a new linkage and adjusted the pedal to tolerance. That didn't work either. I was then told to hook the Bush hog up and put it under load with the pedal tied down and it would unstick the plate. I decided since I needed to box blade at a place then that I'd do that rather than taking a chance of it stopping working again and then try it. I tried it here and it worked great. So I then loaded it on my trailer to take it to the place that needed leveling. As soon as it got level on the 20 ft trailer it stopped again. Several people told me that the screen filter on it could cause it to do both things. Go or not go even having plenty of pedal. I just decided being before when it Happened that the 3 point lift quite working as well so I tried it. It worked so I tried the pto as well. Being the clutch isnt working now I guess either way now maybe I want getting it into gear could be the pto issue with me so frustrated.
All I know is it stopped Bush hogging and moving I let it sit a while and it would go again. It took several tries to get it to where I could pull it the rest of the way home. The next time I decided to try it, it worked again I took the Bush hog off of it and was backing up to hook the disk up and it and the lift quite again. I then checked the fluid behind the other guy then. That's when I found it was low and bought more. As soon as I put it in it started working everything but the clutch stopped working without being touched argument wise. I am having trouble finding anyone to work on it and can do simple things still like changing the screen and see if that does it. With the way my health is it would take me years to fell like working on on it enough to tear it down and put it back together. I have a day or 2 every few weeks I am able to do anything ! On my tractor on the rear left side behind the idler brake linkage there is a circular plate like in the videos with 2 bolts in it. Is that where the screen is? Also there are 2 plugs that look to be drain plugs. 1 is under the fill tank and there is a half round casing as part of it that runs towards the front of the tractor and further back another one closer to the rear end . Witch one is the right one? The front one runs towards the clutch h ok housing and has a lower draining point. I would think that's it but want to be sure that's the right plug and the cover for screen. It cant hurt to check it anyway. I've emailed here as well I can send pics if I can get a reply there . My email is goodale@shtc.net
Thanks!!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:45 am

I think you have a couple unrelated problems.

The 3pt lift is purely hydraulic and can not be related to your PTO stopping. It sounds like you fixed that by adding oil.

The PTO is purely mechanical. The only way oil would change the way it worked is if you ran completely out and the bearings locked up.

The powershift could be either hydraulic or mechanical but, seeing when the tractor stops moving - the pto stops also - my bets are on the mechanical cause. The only real mechanical part that the transmission & pto share (that typically fails) is the clutch/pressure plate and the splined coupler on the clutch shaft.

I, personally, think it is time to split the tractor and see what is going on there. Either that or get very methodical with your troubleshooting and really narrow down exactly what happens and when.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

R1e: My ym2010d clutch adjustment

Postby Coachg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Ok the pto is working right I checked it myself this am making sure it was in all the way in each gear by turning the tractor off and getting it into the gears. So I can check that off. But like I tried to explain the main issue, I let a friend borrow the tractor and box blade. When he brought it back he told me he had to adjust the clutch pedal linkage to get it going. I put the Bush hog on it and it worked fine mowing my food plot clutch and all. Then when I drove it to mow the field it just stopped. I waited a few minutes and it started back to working so I drove it back towards the house. I parked it in the barn. A few days later I got on it everything working and started swapping the Bush hog for the disk. When I started backing up to the disk it stopped again. I decided to check the fluid when the 3 point hitch went down all the way while backing. It was low. I parked it for the day and later when I had another decent day filled it with jd303 and it's still full. Then it took right off everything working but then the clutch stopped working then it would just go. That's when someone here told me how to adjust the linkage to the right free play. I bought a new linkage from there and had a friend come and help me adjust it. That still didn't help so it went from not going to going. I read several post I think one was yours on how to use the Bush hog to unstick the clutch plate. I decided while it was working and pulling the box blade that I'd use it at my parents house where the ground is messed up from removing a tree and didnt need to use the clutch, then try the Bush hog trick when I got back in case it made it quite working again trying the Bush hog. Like I said it worked fine trying the box blade here before taking it there. It worked right up until I drive it up onto the trailer as soon as it cleared the ramps and got back level on the trailer it stopped pulling again. I had my wife to watch me drive it onto the trailer to be safe. And had her look at the pto so I could sit on the tractor. Now that I have it all the way on the trailer and strapped down while I felt like it this am I checked the PTO MYSELF and it worked in all 4 speeds. So now I'm back to it not pulling again. I was going to change the screen filter today but before I could I got sick again. .
With this explained should I just keep trying to find someone to tear it down and service it or try the screen cleaning and flushing everything and putting more fresh jd303 in it? That's just strange. That it stops and then goes and the clutch pedal quite after I put fluid in it without touching it and then putting a new linkage on it . Guess I need to buy a manual and find a dealer willing to work on it or get another one! When I can and hire someone to fix the yard at my parents house.
Thanks, again.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:34 pm

I checked the PTO MYSELF and it worked in all 4 speeds

This point is critical to the troubleshooting path. Did the PTO work when under a load (like when you were trying to drive up the ramp where you said it would stop spinning)? The PTO spinning while the tractor is just sitting on the trailer does not tell us anything.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm

The PTO was off I had the box blade on it. Doesnt need the PTO! I only tried the lift and pto after it stopped as well as the clutch to just see what would work with it stopped again. Being it was back to like it originally was not pulling. Even checked the fluid again still right on the stick. The only thing that changed was driving it up the ramps. I need a book I guess to see what does what I looked at this forum and talked to a friend that said pretty much what I read that it could be the strainer stopping up and needs cleaning. I don't need to do anymore than I have to with my health but getting someone to do something even that simple is hard! If I was healthy I'd jump right on it. Being disabled puts me at a huge disadvantage.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:26 pm

To make myself clear as I can the PTO has never been a issue other than described below and that was a mistake even mentioning it I guess! I just tried everything on the tractor while it quit moving again (stopped) as soon as it got to the top of the ramps. I then while very dissatisapponted wanted to see what all the fluid did control so that's why tried everything while I was still sitting in the tractor. If I had been at my parents house on level ground the job would have been done. The only thing changed then is I drove it up onto a normal equipment trailer. also the clutch issue when he brought it back everything was working even though he adjusted the clutch pedal linkage. That and adding the jd303 is the only changes. It stopped going on me. I added fluid, it started back moving but has no clutch, used box blade here before taking it worked fine loaded it it quite moving again. When I can I guess I'll try draining the fluid clean the screen , flush it with diesel and try it again and buy some manuals.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Winston, could you message me at my personal email and answer a question I have about the mutual friend we have and another question please? I'm still trying to get it fixed as I feel like it. I'll update here now the current state from the above post for you or anyone. Since it pulled the box blade as stated above and then when I loaded it on the trailer it went back to the original ptoblem except now it wont go at all.
I have now drained the transmission, cleaned the strainer flushed the whole system with diesel fluid put back together and it's still the same except now when running I can push in the clutch and it will allow me to put the manual transmission shifter in the gears as well as the pto way better than when it worked. Before that I had to turn the tractor off and work to get either in a gear. I also noticed that the PTO is way too slow now in any of the 4 speeds. Also now when I push the clutch in it stops the PTO! does that mean since I adjusted the pedal play as suggested that the clutch is working and the clutch and pressure plate isn't stuck? Or is there more adjustment needed to be made.
I need it running the worst and dont need the PTO right now and was told they have nothing in common. But it's strange that everyone says work the 3 points, all the gears manual, the quick shift, and the clutch. The clutch pedal stopping the clutch but wont let the tractor go with what little knowledge I have of how everything works is puzzling to me. Same as the PTO it was working when the tractor stopped on me. And when it originally started messing up and stopping as stated in this thread at the beginning the guy that borrowed it was using the box blade to level the gravel drive he has has, nothing to do with the PTO! Being the PTO is so slow I safely worked my way to stopping the 6 point spline with my hand. I could hear and feel the shaft inside it spinning to me pretty rapidly. Is there a sheer pin in the spline or inside the PTO, or am I gonna have to take it apart and look for a worn or broken gear or part? If I get to where I can find a dealer to take it to I want them to go through it good but hate to have to pay them to go behind me and cost more if I can fix it. Nothing came out of it when I drained it other than clumps of fluid. I had clear hydrolic fluid at the end. Found nothing in the buckets oh r strainer that would have been a piece of anything. The clumps were just that I checked them as well.
Also there are no signs of leaks anywhere except a old small one on the front left tire.
I added a gallon at a time of brand new jd303 and started checking it when I got to 3 gallons. It was barely touching the stick. I did it as I found to check it by sitting the threads on top of the casing not to screw it in to check it. It took the whole 5 gallon checking it many times as I added it to make sure I filled it right. I though it was supposed to be full at 4 5 gallons? Is that right for my YM 2010D? It's perfect on the dipstick.
I'd love to see a pic of the proper level of the gearbox and if the gears are submerged or exposed to be bathed as they turn. Mine now that I flushed it is very clean and clear. Any suggestions on getting the tractor to go and pull a box blade would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Garland
Winston I hope to hear from you at my email. Goodale@shtc.net

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 pm

Above correction in post; Where I said before I had to turn the tractor off to get it into the gear or the PTO to clarify that was only after I drove it up on the trailer it worked fine before this issue. Also where I said working everything I put CLUTCH twice where the instructions said work the PTO as well. Just trying to be clear as I can.

Coachg
Volunteer Poster

Postby Coachg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 am

Oh well guess I hit a dead end! If someone could have Ohyo to message me I'd appreciate it I guess Arron and winston gave up on me! I sure hate to spend money at a dealer for it to just be a simple adjustment I don't know about! Thanks for the help I got those issues are tried and dealt lt with. Have a clean fresh hydrolic system and hopefully the new linkage I got from here is adjusted right. In case this has happened to someone else with a ym 2020D 4 x 4. Could you suggest anything else to try that would cause the 2 opposite problems?
Last edited by Coachg on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tech Support”