Hydraulic leak

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Hydraulic leak

Postby MizzouBeach » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:43 pm

I was using my YM2210 the other day, and the transmission and hydraulics quit working, so I checked the oil level, and it was low. I added about a gallon, and resumed using it. Later, I noticed that the oil was leaking, and even spurting, out a hole above the lift mechanism for the 3-point hookup. Is this a vent hole? Did I fill it too full? See attached photo.... Picture too big; I'll figure out how to make it smaller and put it in a reply.

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Re: Hydraulic leak

Postby MizzouBeach » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Well, I can't seem to make thye picture small enough.... It's only about 500Kb.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Yours may look a little different but are we talking about #8? https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/2000HYDLIFT.htm
If so, then your level must be high, have you checked with the dip stick?

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Postby MizzouBeach » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:10 am

Yes, that's the place; mine doesn't have the U-shaped tube, though. And that answers my question about whether that's a vent or not.

Threeweight
Volunteer Poster

Postby Threeweight » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm

You might have a restriction somewhere over-pressurizing the system and causing fluid to blow out the vent. Seems odd that your hydraulic fluid/tranny fluid was so low you lost hydraulics, and then only a gallon overfilled it. My little YM1500D holds 2.5 gallons of fluid.

You may have a restriction of some kind. I would drain the fluid, then pull the filter and inspect the screen for crud. When I bought it, my tractor had been used in rice paddies with leaking rear axle seals, which allowed water into the trany/hydro fluid, and had made a mess. So much so the piston for the 3 pt system was frozen. I tore the entire rear end of the tractor apart to clean it, flushing it several times and replacing the filter screen.

I've run it hard for a year and put maybe 50 hours on it since, but when I drained it last weekend and pulled the filter screen, it was nearly blocked up again w/ crud. Once the hyrdro system is contaminated, you may need to do several drain/'flush cycles to get the crud out.

When I had mine apart, I recall that vent is simply open into the housing that holds the piston/rock shaft (on the YM1500 it is directly above the rock shaft). If the piston is binding or the system is getting too much pressure in it, that would be one point fluid could escape.

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Postby MizzouBeach » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks, Threeweight; I'll check the filter. I was surprised, after the hydraulics quit, that it only took that amount of fluid. I think it holds 4-5 gallons.
All the 3-point parts seem to work fine.

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Postby MizzouBeach » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am

Okay, so I finally took the filter out, and it's pretty cruddy. Also, when I drained the hydraulic oil from that part of the case, it looked pretty gunky. So I remove the line on the other side of the case that goes to the pump, so I had access from both sides, and cleaned off the bottom of the case with some small rag pieces on the end of a stick. Nasty.

Return to “Tech Support”