Yanmar YM2220D fluids and other questions ..

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

Lunarius
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar YM2220D fluids and other questions ..

Postby Lunarius » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 am

Hello,

I'm new in the forum and have just registered here.
I'm from Germany / Dresden and I am 34 years old and my name is René 8)

In September I bought a Yanmar YM2220D tractor with front loader (my first tractor), it has now 1.447 hours and runs perfectly. I would like to use it for work in our forest, especially for pulling and transporting wood.

Now I have a few questions about the fluids.
1. How much coolant protection fits into the radiator and does this tractor have a water pump?

2. The temperature indicator moves only max. 3 mm up, I think the thermostat might be broken. Where is the thermostat located exactly?

3. Which engine oil, gear oil and hydraulic oil do I need and how much?

4. What oil must be used in the 4x4 front axle and how much?
Unfortunately, the right front rim is very wet inside when driving, where could it be leaking?

Many Thanks,
René
Attachments
Yanmar YM2220D.JPG
Yanmar YM2220D.JPG (202.67 KiB) Viewed 7978 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Yanmar YM2220D fluids and other questions ..

Postby winston » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Yes, it has a water pump. 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Don't know just how much it holds, I doubt over 2 gallons if that much. Also has a thermostat, thinking it mounts on this backplate. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/BP-9350.htm

List of fluids: https://www.hoyetractor.com/support/kno ... ?article=1

Wheel axle could be leaking or the knuckle seal. Clean it off good and watch to pin point.

Look around on this sight real good, your parts are listed, all kinds of help articles including "how too" video's

The 2220 is a nice one, should serve you well.

Lunarius
Volunteer Poster

Postby Lunarius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

Hi winston,

Thank you for your help!
Thanks also for the link, helped me a lot :D

Good to hear that the tractor has a water pump and I can mix with 50/50 water and antifreeze.

How can it be that the display shows the wrong temperature, is it on the thermostat or possibly on another component?
Unfortunately, I still do not know where the thermostat is hidden, maybe you have a link or picture for me?

Can I also take a 5W-40 engine oil instead of 15W-40, since I work in the winter with it or should I stay with the 15W-40?
Does it have to be synthetic or partially synthetic?

What I still do not quite understand is this gearbox wich is located in the footwell, is the transmission and the hydraulics all in one?

If I have understood correctly, the box in the footwell is for the manual gearbox and the complete hydraulics?

I will remove the right front wheel and clean everything up, then watch from where it drips.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Did you look at the water pump back plate that I attached? The 2 bolt hole opening should be where your thermostat is located. Not sure about your temperature reading. Could be your sending unit is not working correctly, https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/TS-1470.htm, or your gauge is not working correctly, or it is just running cool. May be expensive where you are but if not you might consider something like this to check it out. https://www.harborfreight.com/non-conta ... 61894.html

I am no oil expert but yes, I think you can use a more suitable lubricant for cold weather. What temperatures do you see. Make sure you use a diesel rated oil. Should be stated on the container.

The box you speak of is the transmission housing containing all transmission gearing. It is also the sump for both transmission and hydraulic combination fluid.The powershift transmission has its own pump inside the sump. The The hydraulic pump for the lift hydraulics is located on the right of your engine close to the front. You will see 2 steel lines attaching to it. It pulls from the bottom on the transmission housing and delivers fluid through your loader valve and then back to the 3 point hydraulic housing located under your seat and attached to the top of the transmission.

Not good with words, hope this helps some.

Lunarius
Volunteer Poster

Postby Lunarius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

Yes I've seen the water pump back plate on your link. I just dont know where the water pump and sending uinit is located, found nothing like this? :oops:
I drove the tractor about three miles down the road to the Woods, then pulled some wood out.
The meter never moved more then 3 mm up. The outside temperature was on this day about 60 F.
Unfortunately, the tractor stands 2 hours away from me, so I 'm not able to look soon again.

In winter it will be about 15 F, in the summer about 95 F where I would work with it.
I do not know if I am with the 5W-40 better off or with the 15W-40 .. hmmm.. maybe somebody else knows more about oil?

Okay its now litle hard to unterstand, my englisch is not the best and I dont know anything about Tractors :?
The transmission housing is containing all the transmission gearing fluid and also serves the complete hydraulic pump in the back and front, all the same fluid (JD303, HyTrans ...) in one box right?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am

Yes, on the fluid specs.

Look under the top water hose for your thermostat.

Lunarius
Volunteer Poster

Postby Lunarius » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 am

Perfect thank you winston!

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”