2310d starts but wont keep running for more than about 10-15 seconds

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

2310d starts but wont keep running for more than about 10-15 seconds

Postby thomascwatson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm

1) I just replaced the clutch disc and pressure plate so of course I had to break the tractor in half. Now that it's back together I can start it but it won't keep running more than 10 or 15 seconds. I am getting fuel to the injectors when I crank it. Maybe I have a leak in the fuel line after reconnecting it? Any other ideas?

2) Also, I am having trouble with the battery, I think. It will crank the engine over and start it a couple of times but if I ask it to do it a third time it just doesn't seem to have the power. I am using a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery. I had it tested at Auto Zone and they told me that it fine, it just needed charging. OK. Did that. After charging to 100% I have the same problem. It's like it doesn't have enough amperage to kick the engine over after a couple of tries. I burned up a solenoid trying to force it to start. Replaced that. Could I be dealing with a different problem or do I need to get them to look at the battery again?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 2310d starts but wont keep running for more than about 10-15 seconds

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am

Sounds like a fuel problem. When the tractor dies- remove the hose going into the injection pump and see if you are getting a steady stream of fuel there. Let it run long enough to fill a liter bottle. If you don't get a steady stream then work up stream until you find the restriction.

If the battery is good then it is either a bad connection somewhere or your starter is 'dragging'.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 am

Deep cycle marine batteries are usually ng for starting tractors.What is the cca rating for your battery? Is it charging when running? Check fuel flow at your fuel pump. Get yourself a volt/ohm meter.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 am

Further to Norm, a regular battery is designed to give high amps briefly, which is what a starter needs. A marine or deep-discharge one is designed to withstand prolonged discharges -- in exchange for not being able to provide high amps -- which is why you don't see them in cars. Or tractors.

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

Postby thomascwatson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks guys. As you can tell, I am not much of a mechanic. In fact, if I could find someone to work on my tractor, I wouldn't even be doing this myself. Anyway I checked the fuel flow to the fuel pump and ran a liter of fuel out. It ran fine. I installed a new fuel filter and a clear fuel line from the filter to the fuel pump so I could see if I was getting air bubbles. No bubbles. Fuel bleeds at the bleed valve on the fuel pump. Should I bleed a lot of fuel there too? When I crank the engine I get little spurts of fuel from all three lines disconnected from the injectors. The tractor starts fine and runs nice but still stops after about ten seconds. It does sound fuel starved to me when it quits. If I advance the throttle it speeds the engine, but still dies. Can I assume the problem is the fuel pump or the lines between the pump and the injectors? I did not disconnect those fuel lines when I installed the clutch disc and pressure plate.

I'm not sure what the starter dragging means. It could be I guess. The starter sounds fine and works fine the first two times I start the tractor.

Thanks for the battery advice. Like I said, I am a rookie. I will just get an appropriate battery, but one other thing about this battery is that after starting the tractor twice the battery terminals are too hot to touch. In fact the lead base of the positive terminal has actually melted a little bit.

Thanks again......tw

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

How long is the engine turning over before cranking? Should not be long enough to cause the starter to get hot.

Your stopping after 10 seconds time after time is very puzzling to me. Although it may not help I would try loosening the lines at the injectors, throttle wide open, compression release pulled, crank the engine over numerous times just to assure you have no pockets of air in the injector lines. Tighten them back up and see what happens.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:23 am

" I will just get an appropriate battery, but one other thing about this battery is that after starting the tractor twice the battery terminals are too hot to touch. In fact the lead base of the positive terminal has actually melted a little bit."
Sounds like a bad, (arcing), connection.

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

Postby thomascwatson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Winston..... Thanks for your thoughts. The engine turns over about 8 times before it starts which is how it has always been. I don't think the starter is hot. I will check. I will try the procedure you recommended to flush out the injector pump and lines to the injectors.

Norm. Thanks for your comments again. Bad connection (arcing) sounds reasonable. I will get a new battery today to see if that helps.

Thanks again to everyone......tw

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Don't forget, "Get yourself a volt/ohm meter.". I can't imagine trying to keep a tractor running without one.

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

Postby thomascwatson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 am

Norm..... OK. I will get a volt/ohm meter. I will need to learn how, when and where to use it. I can do that! Thanks.......tw

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 pm

thomascwatson wrote:Winston..... Thanks for your thoughts. The engine turns over about 8 times before it starts which is how it has always been. I don't think the starter is hot. I will check. I will try the procedure you recommended to flush out the injector pump and lines to the injectors.

Norm. Thanks for your comments again. Bad connection (arcing) sounds reasonable. I will get a new battery today to see if that helps.

Thanks again to everyone......tw

Most all of the Yanmars I have experience with start after one or two spins unless using the compression release. Do you use the compression release when starting? If they don't start quickly something is not quite right. May have to live with it if low compression.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 pm

thomascwatson wrote:Norm..... OK. I will get a volt/ohm meter. I will need to learn how, when and where to use it. I can do that! Thanks.......tw

Rule 1. A so-called 12 volt battery is actually 6- 2,1 volt cells for a total of 12.6 volts. Minimum of 12.5 volts needed to start your tractor. A fully charged battery is about 13.1-2 volts. A good electrical connection is "zero" ohms, or really, (within 2-3 ohms) close to it. Harbor Freight has them usually for about $4.

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

Postby thomascwatson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for sticking with me guys. I appreciate it more than you can know. Otherwise I am hanging out here in the wind alone.

I got a new battery. Same thing, it starts and runs ten seconds then dies. I tried Winston's suggestion and disconnected the fuel lines from the injectors and cranked the engine. It all looked fine: fuel rhythmically spurting from all three lines and no apparent air pockets. I checked the starter after starting three times. It is not hot, but the terminals of the solenoid are very hot. Harbor freight and I are friends so I will get a volt/ohm meter and try to remember my basic physics to figure out how to use it. Any other rules to know, Norm?

Just thinking.... A bad starter doesn't seem likely, right? Is it possible that the starter is pulling too much amperage and causing the battery to run down quickly? It seems like it should restart more than two or three times. After two or three times it will barely turn over.

What about an electrical problem that keeps the engine from running longer. ThermaStart problem? I understand that it is compression that ignites the fuel in the cylinder and the tractor just had a overhaul including new pistons, rings, etc. and was working fine when the clutch went out.

Is it possible that I got the shaft misaligned when I replaced the clutch causing the timing to be off or some other crazy thing? I did not remove or replace the throwout bearing or the fork.

Too much thinkng? Thanks for any thoughts.......tw

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:43 pm

No, the battery should not be run down after 2 or three starts. Your model does not requuire any electric to run. Just for cranking. Electrical is not your problem as far as the stopping after 10 seconds. I am beginning to wonder now if your engine is trying to seize. The hot electrical connections could be coming from an overloaded starter. Didn't realize until your last post that it had just been overhauled.

Question: Does the engine seem to get harder and harder to turn over on starts 1, 2, and 3? If so, I am beginning to suspect internal binding. Could be from piston rings to bearings. Not saying this is the problem but the fuel issue is just not adding up.

thomascwatson
Volunteer Poster

Postby thomascwatson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Winston.... Thanks for your comments. I don't know anything about seizing up so I can't comment. It does not get harder to crank until after two or three starts, then it will barely turn over, certainly not enough to start. A few minutes ago I was able to start it 5 times but it still only runs for a few seconds. After that it would barely turn over again. Then I hooked up the battery charger thinking that the battery was run down and the charger said it was charged 95%. When it runs exhaust starts out black but clears right up. Thanks again..........tw

Return to “Tech Support”