which yanmar ym1500 should i consider?

What size tractor do I need? What is a good model to buy? What size mower do I need?

Moderator: Aaron

bluecarpenter22
Volunteer Poster

which yanmar ym1500 should i consider?

Postby bluecarpenter22 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Im looking at a couple different tractors. The one Ive looked at is in the pic. It started up good and seemed to run good. though i wish it had a regular muffler on it. I mowed with it and it did fine. the only thing i noticed is the right tie rod end was loose so it made the steering a bit sloppy.
it is a ym1500D which is what i would like. I just dont like the tires that are on it. they appear to be 22" truck tires and are on split rims.
I forgot to see the size on the front, but i plan on going back in a few days to look at it again.
If the tires werent match properly what can it do the driveline? though i didn't notice any sounds coming from it and I stuck it in a higher gear and it took off and ran good.

The other one Im looking at is a 2 wheel drive 1500. it has the currect exhuast muffler on it and the currect tires on it. I havnt had a chance to look at this one yet but appears in real good shape along with new tires, battery and is suppose to run good.

Ive got a little 12 single bottom plow that Im wanting to use with it and going to get a 48" tiller for it possibly from tractor supply but havnt made up my mine on it yet. are there any advantages on one or the other. My wife and I like putting out a decent size garden and i like the size of this tractor compared to my little satoh beaver tractor.
Attachments
00j0j_94HmAKurUmx_600x450.jpg
00j0j_94HmAKurUmx_600x450.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
00E0E_hks3Hi6pAJB_600x450 (1).jpg
00E0E_hks3Hi6pAJB_600x450 (1).jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: which yanmar ym1500 should i consider?

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:42 am

If the tires werent match properly what can it do the driveline?

If the tires were not matched and they used 4wd on a surface with good traction it would cause damage to the 4wd. Check that 4wd over very carefully. Some of those parts can get expensive.

Ive got a little 12 single bottom plow that Im wanting to use with it

I think you might be a little short on traction with a plow and 2wd - IMO. I'm sure it could be done in 2wd and there are people that do it though.

The 1500 is a very durable & simple little machine. I would put a temp gauge on it as soon as I unloaded it off the trailer though. 90% of the problems with those are caused by overheating (they have no water pump).

bluecarpenter22
Volunteer Poster

Postby bluecarpenter22 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 am

What do I look for or what is the best way to look the 4x4 area over?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 am

I guess first I would be sure the 4wd is working. You could hook onto something heavy (like a pickup) in low/low gear and see if the front tires slip (on gravel or similar loose surface). If they are pulling and no strange noises and nothing seems loose then you should probably be ok.

Return to “Pre-Purchase Questions”