equipment

What size tractor do I need? What is a good model to buy? What size mower do I need?

Moderator: Aaron

jedd
Volunteer Poster

equipment

Postby jedd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I have a F20-2 wheel drive diesel-3 cylinder with a four speed PTO. Will it handle a 5-foot bush hog?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: equipment

Postby winston » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:54 pm

You probably know this but a bush hog is designed to run at 540rpm. Anything faster than that becomes dangerous. I own a ym2002d, same horsepower as the F20. I use an old 5' FMC Sidewinder rotary mower with it. Mowing light to moderate vegetation it does fine. In heavy mowing it is overloaded and I sometimes have to take a half swipe or raise a little high and come back again. Personally, I am satisfied with the 5 footer because most of my mowing is in the light to moderate vegetation. 1st range on my pto is designed for 540 pto rpm with engine at high rpm. In real light mowing I sometimes using 2nd pto range and reduce rpms on the engine to achieve 540 pto rpms. It is not good to lug the little engines so overloading them at any rpm is not recommended. Don't know whether I've really made sense here. Conditions and operator knowledge play a big part in what you can and can't do.

Also, my old mower is pretty heavy and I do much better with a couple of suitcase weights on the front to balance me out. I am also careful when the mower is in the raised position to avoid any large bumps. The impact on the rear lift is multiplied greatly with that heavy mower sticking back there 6 foot or so.

You probably already know this too, but if you don't have one, you need an over run clutch on your pto.

Return to “Pre-Purchase Questions”