Whats the good, the bad and the ugly to a GT14

What size tractor do I need? What is a good model to buy? What size mower do I need?

Moderator: Aaron

artfull dodger
Volunteer Poster

Whats the good, the bad and the ugly to a GT14

Postby artfull dodger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 am

I found a nice GT14, price is very attractive, has ag tires, rear lift hitch according to the owner, clutch and pulleys for a mower deck but no deck. Going to look at it shortly. What are the good and bad points to this model. I am a diesel mechanic so I know what to look for as far as any engine issues. Can a mower deck be found reasonably for this model? What about a front snow blade? My wife and I have been searching for an affordable (under 1K) diesel garden tractor. This is what we have found. I had a YM135 years ago and regret ever selling it. Dont really wanna go any larger than the GT14 size and most other yannies I find are much more $$$. Thanks in advance. Mike and Michele T

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Whats the good, the bad and the ugly to a GT14

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

This is only my personal/professional opinion...

good-
great engine. Nice compact little machine. Very simple design. Low price.

bad-
just a few steps up from a riding lawn mower chassis... nothing like the YM135 that you had. The engine will faaaaar outlast the rest of the tractor.
Part support is just about over from Yanmar. They are lots of major key parts that simply can not be purchased new anymore - the electric pto clutch is a big one.

Can a mower deck be found reasonably for this model?

Rear mount - yes. Belly mount - only have seen a couple used on ebay and they were in pretty bad shape... otherwise you will have to find a new one from another brand machine & fabricate all of the mounts & hookups.

My opinion from a parts standpoint.... I'd pass. BUT.. if you like projects & dont mind fabricating stuff that you cant get new anymore - it sounds like a good buy. If you want a diesel lawn tractor under $1k then you are really limited and the GT might be your best bet. . The engine will bring more than $1k on ebay.

artfull dodger
Volunteer Poster

Re: Whats the good, the bad and the ugly to a GT14

Postby artfull dodger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

I bought it, well I have it on hold as I come up with the funds selling my Simplicity 7116 Landlord. It runs flawlessly, has freshly rebuilt water pump, has never been overheated. Comes with the front PTO clutch and all mounting hardware for same. Needs a seat cushion, headlight lense and a good bath. I wont ever work it hard so its about the perfect tractor. I dont mind a rear mount mower, I am guessing that would be a PTO driven unit? or just getting a powered pull behind? She doesnt have a rear PTO right now. Has a professionaly built rear hitch, has a 2" box reciever and a hyd cylinder to raise it, no down pressure, just uses the weight of any attachment to lower the hitch. I know I would probably hunt down rear PTO and 3pt hitch for it. What options are there for a rear mount mower deck? I know its not near the tractor the YM135 was, but also not near the price those fetch localy, last older Yannie I saw was a 155d for over $3500 with no attachments, just tractor w/3pt hitch. He also has the Hoye manual for the tractor. Fill me in on the history of it, years produced ect. I plan to restore to take to shows as its kind of a rare bird I think. Mike

Return to “Pre-Purchase Questions”