Yanmar 2820D tractor

What size tractor do I need? What is a good model to buy? What size mower do I need?

Moderator: Aaron

Laynes69
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar 2820D tractor

Postby Laynes69 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all, new here. I'm looking at purchasing an 82 or 83 2820D yanmar. It has 1300 hours on it, and was rebuilt 10 hours ago. It's been refurbished, has all safety features and has a rear remote valve. The tractor looks and operates as new. It also has a 160 koyker loader on it with joystick. The dealer is asking 10500 and I think I can get an almost new 6' brush cutter with it also with this price. Any insights or anything to look for? Is this a good deal?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Yanmar 2820D tractor

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm

That seems like a pretty good price to me. That loader would cost close to $5,000 new and the 2820D tractors are in the $7k to $8k range. The only potential issue I can think of is the quality of the rebuild work and what all was done to it. If the 'rebuild' was just hoses and tires then not much to worry about. If the rebuild was a complete engine overhaul because it was ran out of oil then the tractor's future reliability depends on the mechanic that did the work. Are they offering any kind of warranty?

Laynes69
Volunteer Poster

Postby Laynes69 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 pm

No, the warranty is about up I guess. It was purchased out of Alabama. I contacted the dealer who sold it to the man here in Ohio and they said that they rebuild all of their engines. It had pistons, rings, sleeves, rod bearings and a water pump. The dealer started it without the aid of the preheater in 32 degree weather. The work was done here in the states in Alabama. The previous owner used it for around 10 hours and said it was too small so he traded it in. Are these tractors dependable? I was going to try to find an old ford or oliver with loader. I now have an oliver 55 and an 8n Ford, so I'm new to yanmar and I have to finance it. Just didn't know if there would be any concern purchasing a yanmar. It seems like a well built tractor.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Yanmars are very well built tractors. Easily up there with/above any other brand and the 2820 is probably better built than anything new being sold now. I would just check it out like you would any used car and, if it checks out, you should be good. If rebuilt in Alabama then it is probably a Fredricks tractor and they have a good reputation and have doing that for a long time.

some things to look for
https://www.hoyetractor.com/lookfor.htm

Laynes69
Volunteer Poster

Postby Laynes69 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Yes, it is a fredricks tractor. I'm not sure if the thermostart works (didn't light up), but took the tractor out today in 4wd and picked up various implements with the loader. Clean fluids, no noises (a little clatter when started in the cold). I think I am going to pull the trigger. I opened the hood and there was not a drop of fluid anywhere on the tractor. It seems like a stout tractor. If they have a history of being dependable I think I will pull the trigger.

Return to “Pre-Purchase Questions”