kinda off topic...

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

kinda off topic...

Postby O~o\ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Can anyone tell me why diesel tractor oil is far less expensive than gas engine oil?

Can you use diesel tractor oil like Castrol Diesel GTX in a gas engine?

I burn alot of oil in my 370,000 mile truck and just want a cheaper oil.

Castrol Diesel GTX @ $11.00
Regular (gas) GTX for $33.00.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: kinda off topic...

Postby winston » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Did a little googling on your question but don't have an answer for you. I would say if you find the required specs for your truck oil and the diesel oil meets those specs then it would be ok.

I have used Walmarts supertech oil for several years with no problems. I use it in my old 2003 chevy 3/4 ton with the 6 liter and I use it in my 2016 Nissan Rogue. In fact, in all my years of vehicles I have never had any kind of failure resulting from any oil I have used. Not saying there aren't less superior oils out there but if the specs are met that seems to cover it for me.

Just an opinion, no fact here.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

That is a very attractive price point for the Walmart oil. If you have a good service record with this oil, that is good enough for me.

I had looked at the Traveler oil at TSC, but no references.

Thanks again Winston!

Centex336D
Volunteer Poster

Postby Centex336D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:52 pm

I think you'll find that the additive / detergent packages, particularly when looking at 'premium' oils, are very different for 'diesel' vs 'gasoline' oils. Not suggesting that accounts for the price difference but IMHO it goes to the (in)advisability of using of a non-specified oil in a particular engine over the long haul.

I know of no 'diesel oil' that's labeled as meeting the manufacturer specs for any of my '01, '05 and '14 gasoline vehicles, nor do I believe you'll find any 'gasoline oil' labeled as meeting the specs for any of the late model diesel vehicles (those vehicle manufacturer specs covering much more than just viscosity). Not suggesting that any of these differences lead to inevitable traumatic failure (doubt that they would), suggesting they go to optimal vehicle performance and longevity.

Purely speculative but I suspect that retail market forces, including advertising, may have as much as anything to do with product price (what we pay) - perhaps more than product manufacturing cost.
Yanmar 336D with OEM YFL-1500 loader & YMB1-85 box blade

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”