F16D front axle gear oil capacity & weight?

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

Fastcast
Volunteer Poster

F16D front axle gear oil capacity & weight?

Postby Fastcast » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 am

I'm want to change the gear oil in the front axle of my F16D and the only notes I have say 90w...Does any one know how many quarts 2-4 etc. and what would be a good replacement for the straight 90w...80w-90 dino oil or 75w-90 - 75w-140 synthetic? Also, I would assume no LS limited slip additive correct?

I have noticed in the past, when removing the front axle dip stick after a workout the gear oil looks foamed or frothing looking but settles back down to normal looking after sitting over night. Any idea what that's about, is there a breather on this thing I"m missing that could be plugged?

Thanks

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: F16D front axle gear oil capacity & weight?

Postby winston » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 am

Just plain old 90 weight gear oil or you could use a multigrade like this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-8 ... 3=&veh=sem

I don't think anything special will benefit you, take all this as an opinion, not a fact. :mrgreen:

Fastcast
Volunteer Poster

Postby Fastcast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks Winston! On this foaming thing with the gear oil, I believe it's being caused by air pressure in the front axle. There seems to be no vent on this thing and whenever I'm done with an extended period in 4x4 (plowing the drive) if I remove the dipstick it releases a lot of air pressure and that's when I notice the foamed oil. I can't believe it's lubricating very well in that condition!

Do you know if full synthetic gear oil like Mobile 1 is less likely to foam than the conventional oils? I'm thinking about removing the o-ring on the dipstick so as to still keep debris out but maybe not make so tight of a seal so some air might escape.

Also, no idea on the capacity? I saw something somewhere but it was a different model Yanmar than mine (maybe bigger) and I believe they said 4qt? That seems like a ton in this little axle. I can always drain first, see how much comes out then head to the parts store...

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 am

They do hold a considerable amount but I don't know about the F16 capacity. I would just go by the dipstick. The foaming is interesting, I never experienced that or the pressure build up. No idea if the synthetic would be less likely to foam.

Fastcast
Volunteer Poster

Postby Fastcast » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 am

Thanks, Winston! When I get to this job I'll post back on the capacity for anyone else looking for that info on a F16D and any other results I come up with for venting...

Fastcast
Volunteer Poster

Postby Fastcast » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm

For anyone else interested, the front axle on the F16D holds approximately 3 quarts.

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”