Final drive oil level?

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

muzzer
Volunteer Poster

Final drive oil level?

Postby muzzer » Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi, I have a Yanmar mini excavator YB201, just drained out the old oil from the final drives, about 700mls and started refilling, but not sure the correct level - I've added about 500mls and it's coming out the second hole already.

So either it was originally overfilled or I'm positioning the drive incorrectly before filling. The cover has the standard two holes, one on the outside as normal and one a bit off-center. See image:

I've positioned the drive so the outside filler hole is at 12 oclock which leaves the second hole at about 2/5th height

final-drive1.jpg
final-drive1.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 2549 times

I've measured 700mls of oil (what I drained out) and only managed to get 500mls back in before it starts spilling out the lower hole.

So I though perhaps the filler hole should be just above the second hole essentially allowing a half fill:

final-drive2.jpg
final-drive2.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 2549 times

But I still cant get close to the original 700mls of oil in, have about 120mls spare!

So my questions:
1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Can overfilling damage?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Final drive oil level?

Postby winston » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 pm

According to this seems like halfway would be correct. https://www.finaldriveparts.com/905/che ... nal-drive/

muzzer
Volunteer Poster

Re: Final drive oil level?

Postby muzzer » Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes thanks, I actually saw that video a few days ago, completely different machine but same theory I guess. I'm just a little concerned about getting this wrong - the fill holes on my digger are in completely different positions than in that video.

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”