Operating temperature

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

Ajswafford
Volunteer Poster

Operating temperature

Postby Ajswafford » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 pm

I have a 1500d which has no water pump. Can you guys give me an idea as to what the correct operating temperature is? I'd like to know what is absolutely too hot. So far it has gotten up to 195degrees pulling fallen pine logs in 70 degree weather. I'm anxious to see what it does in 95 degree summer heat with a bush hog. I have a feeling that the antifreeze is a little too rich (just bought the tractor). I plan to have the radiator vatted, flush the engine, and will then mix it to a 25-75 antifreeze to water ratio. My main question is how hot is too hot? Thanks!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Operating temperature

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Your tractor should run at 150 to 180 degrees. The overheating light normally comes on at around 220 degrees F. I would check the antifreeze ratio and blow out the fins & flush the radiator first. You can also add a water pump if you need to. That will fix any of the overheating problems

http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/wpc-1500.htm

Ajswafford
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ajswafford » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks Aaron. I installed a temperature gauge that I bought from you guys and did away with the light. I'm hoping that I can adjust the antifreeze ratio and fix it to avoid having to add the water pump. At least until I can recover from buying the tractor, as well as other repairs that I've made.

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely running between 185 and 195 degrees, so that lets me know I need to address the situation.

Ajswafford
Volunteer Poster

Postby Ajswafford » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 pm

I had a chance to change my antifreeze to more like a 20 percent ratio. It seemed to help a little, but still got up to 185 degrees pretty quick. It seemed to stay there though. I didn't remove the hoses to flush the engine mainly because they look original and look like they've never been removed. I'm afraid that all the prying that will be required to remove them may ruin the hoses. I'll do that next time when I can replace the hoses with new ones. So, I noticed a crack in my radiator on the rim where the cap goes. If I blow air back through the overflow hose toward the radiator, air does leak through the crack. 1. Would this affect the thermosyphon system? I haven't noticed any antifreeze leaking through the crack. 2. Do you guys know if a radiator shop should be able to repair this crack or am I looking at needing a new radiator? I'll try to attach a pic.
Attachments
IMG_4761.JPG
IMG_4761.JPG (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 am

If area was cleaned up real good I believe a little solder could be run in the area. Of course it would have to be smooth on top. I don't believe the leak would affect the thermosyphon system but no pressure in the system will lower the boiling point.

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”