Fluid Types ** Read First **

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

Aaron
Site Administrator

Fluid Types ** Read First **

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:56 am

Engine - 15-40wt Diesel engine oil

Transmission/Hydraulic reservoir - sold under many names like -JD303, HyTrans, J10A, J14A, J20A,B,C,D, J27A or a host of other #'s. They will all say "Universal" or "Hydraulic/Transmission" oil.
UPDATE- There are a couple of very well respected Yanmar dealers that have been using Dextron ATF for over a decade with great success- though it has never been recommended in any Yanmar publication that we have found. It should work fine but use at your own risk

Ft Axle (4wd) 90wt Gear Oil, 80/90 Gear oil. Really anything that says "gear oil".

Coolant (tractors With Water Pump) 50/50 any type antifreeze
Coolant (no water pump) no more than 20% antifreeze in the summer
http://www.hoyetractor.com/overheating.htm

Grease Zerks - any good gun grease

Fuel- Any blend of diesel that you can buy from a gas station.

Steering Gear Box - 90wt Gear Oil or similar

wwrafter
Volunteer Poster

Re: Fluid Types ** Read First **

Postby wwrafter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 am

Aaron wrote:Engine - 15-40wt Diesel engine oil

Transmission/Hydraulic reservoir - sold under many names like -JD303, HyTrans, J10A, J14A, J20A,B,C,D, J27A or a host of other #'s. They will all say "Universal" or "Hydraulic/Transmission" oil.
UPDATE- There are a couple of very well respected Yanmar dealers that have been using Dextron ATF for over a decade with great success- though it has never been recommended in any Yanmar publication that we have found. It should work fine but use at your own risk

Ft Axle (4wd) 90wt Gear Oil

Coolant (tractors With Water Pump) 50/50 any type antifreeze
Coolant (no water pump) no more than 20% antifreeze in the summer
http://www.hoyetractor.com/overheating.htm

Grease Zerks - any good gun grease

Fuel- Any blend of diesel that you can buy from a gas station.

Steering Gear Box - 90wt Gear Oil or similar

Thank you very much for all the good info.
wwrafter

reddogjd
Volunteer Poster

Postby reddogjd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Thank You

jd123
Volunteer Poster

Postby jd123 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:47 am

Also, what about the use of SAE30 in warmer climates? Like in N. California? I use my tractor mostly in summer...60F - 100F.

My manual recommends SAE30 and provides a chart that shows it's good for my operating temps. In fact most small engines require/suggest 30wt.

Modifying my post here...after reading a bunch of stuff...this oil selection can be confusing... :lol:

Think I will switch out my SAE30 for SAE15-40 next change...

Mffriars
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mffriars » Sat May 26, 2012 9:54 am

I put SAE 30 oil. Hope this is fine. Just like pressure pumps I work on. SAE30 dissipates heat better than other oils. Unless someone tells me different I use SAE30 during summer in my tractor like the manual says.

284 international
Volunteer Poster

Postby 284 international » Sat May 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Mffriars wrote:SAE30 dissipates heat better than other oils.

I'm interested to know more about this. I didn't know there were meaningful differences in thermal conductivity among different motor oils.

Mffriars
Volunteer Poster

Postby Mffriars » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

SAE 30 oil is usually recommended on small engines and pumps I work on. Especially warm working condition.(shops, plants) I say it dissipates heat. Basically it does not break down as quick as a 5w 30 oil. When I have customers put 10w 30 oil in a pressure washer pump the pump fails. pump gets to hot and pump seals break down. Any W type oils are good for starting up a engine or pump in cold weather. In my pumps they turn at 3500 rpm and run for hours so basically SAE 30 will handle the higher temperatures than say 5w 30. So what I am learning is that on my tractor SAE 30 is better in summer and 15w 40 is better in cold and 5w 30 is better in real cold weather. So it's based on the same principal. I don't claim to know all but I think this all makes sense. Lots of articles on web about SAE30 vs. W type oils.

284 international
Volunteer Poster

Postby 284 international » Sun May 27, 2012 11:20 am

I understand now what you were saying, and agree. I'm not convinced it makes a vast difference. I think having effective air filters and keeping the machine from overheating is more important than fretting over 5W-40 synthetic vs 15W-40 conventional oil, etc. With regular oil changes and good maintenance otherwise I am not convinced it matters much once up to operating temperature.

I have always run 15W-40 in everything from my pickup, boat, and motorcycles to the tractors and other yard equipment, and converted to 5W-40 synthetic once that was available at a reasonable price. It made everything consistent and simple. I am probably going to depart from that a bit this summer, and run straight 40 weight in the tractors that see the heavy, hot loads for several hours at a time. The loader equipped machines never see the heavy power demands my tillage machines do, but get more start/stop cycles. I think tailoring the lubricant to the machine's primary usage is wiser than the minimal simplification of using one vs two oil types.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:12 pm

It was an earlier generation of available oils that the factory manuals were written for.

Single-grade oils do maintain some of their properties better than multigrade ones, so you should use them when the engine rarely goes through temp changes, like a stationary diesel, a ship, or a long-haul truck.

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Postby MizzouBeach » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:04 pm

I read through the thread here, and I have a question about older engines. Lately my oil light has been on while running, and it seemed to run fine, but the other day (95 degree f) it started heating up. I read on another thread somewhere on this site that checking rod bearing clearances might be advisable. So, I did, and one of the bearings read (plastiguage) about .007, a fair amount above the service limit according to what I read in the manual. I wondered if I could use a heavier oil, like 20-50 or something. Would this be OK?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24 am

I read one of your earlier posts where you had the crank out. Do you think this is wear since that time? In any event .006" is the manuals wear limit and you are flirting with disaster. Your oil light is likely telling you the truth. Heavier oil may help but I don't think it is the solution. This is just my opinion.

MizzouBeach
Volunteer Poster

Postby MizzouBeach » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:12 am

[and you are flirting with disaster.]
Aaron,
I think you are probably correct. When I had it apart a year ago, I "made do", and it has run well since that time, but it's catching up with me, I suppose. I couldn't get the largest of the two nuts off the crank (I made a socket for the smaller one), or I might have taken it in to have it ground. Instead, I hand-filed the crank until the new larger bearings fit, and I guess it's time to do it right.

Gary

bmaverick
Volunteer Poster

Postby bmaverick » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:36 pm

After looking at the 3T80 in both the Yanmar YM2500/YM2610 and the JD850/950, it made sense to use J20C for the hydraulics. Found the fluid to be readily available and low cost at the Farm and Fleet store. Very pricey at Walmart though.

As winter is nearly here, just before Thanksgiving, the Yanmar will get the typical 5W30 synthetic for snow removal work. I find it very handy that the truck, suv and the yanmar all take the same oil. :D Thus, on the garage shelf, it's an easy reach without reading the labels as they are all the same.

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”