1500D hub oil capacity

How Much Oil, What Type Oil, etc

Moderator: Aaron

kfine
Volunteer Poster

1500D hub oil capacity

Postby kfine » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:27 am

Hello

This will be the second time I've replaced the needle bearings and the spindle in the front hubs of my 1500D. It has a front loader attached and the previous owner used the tractor to clear land. I noticed the first time I disassembled the hubs that one was packed with a wheelbearing type grease and not the 90w gear oil that I believe should be in the hubs. I attributed the lack of lubrication from the grease to bearing failure. I've used the tractor to excavate a hill on my property here in SC where everything is that heavy red clay mud. This is probably harder work than what the machine is designed for. I noticed the hubs leaking gear oil and upon disassembly, noticed that the needle bearings have failed again and taken the spindle with them.

Perhaps I did not have enough oil in the hubs. Perhaps I put too much stress on the tractor using it as a loader perhaps both...

What is the oil capacity of the front hubs? I purchased the service manual but it does not specify the capacity of the front hubs. It actually doesn't have any section on the drive train at all.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 1500D hub oil capacity

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am

On those you just fill the oil up until it is above the axle shaft when looking down in the fill hole. Those front ends are always a relatively weak link when you are doing any kind of loader work (which it was not designed for). I do have a couple customers that have replaced the bearings with custom made brass bushings and have reported that they have not had any more problems with the needle bearings. I do not know the specifics of exactly what they did though.

william6232
Volunteer Poster

Postby william6232 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I've found they are not really "diggers" but better at moving piles of rock and dirt and grooming driveways.

kfine
Volunteer Poster

Postby kfine » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 am

Thanks for your responses! These were helpful in keeping my needle bearings alive lately the last time I used the tractor.

After reassembling everything again with new parts, I used the tractor to move about 6 pallets worth of sod from where it was left in the front yard to the back yard. The whole time my driver side hub was leaking horribly so I just filled it each day before beginning work, which kept the bearings from failing. I've rebuilt manual transmissions from older Mercedes and they never leak so I think I'd be able to replace a simple oil seal without issue on a tractor. I've disassembled this for the 4th time in the year I've owned it and I'm putting the caliper on everything in the hub.

I notice that the seals I have seem to be a bit larger than the output shaft which is why it's leaking. I suppose whomever reassembled the hub and packed the whole thing with grease must have been having the same leaking issue.
Output shaft:

Smaller lip seal diameter on seal:

New oil seal I have showing measurements 38x62x9 (I've got three of these, and they all measure the same) The outer lip seal at 38mm doesn't even contact the output shaft and this thing basically falls on and off the shaft with ease. I didn't test fit this last time I assembled it. I just pressed it into the hub and then installed the shaft.

I've found a seal online that is 35x62x9 which I've ordered and will try to install. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future. I'll follow up on how I make out with the 35mm seal vs the 38mm one. Anyone out there have any idea what the specification for the output shaft diameter should be? I cant imagine that my output shaft has worn down this much. There are no wear marks on the output shaft.

There is a raised lip where the shaft is machined off the surface which the wheel mounts to. Surely this cant be the surface that the seal is supposed to seal against.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

Most likely a previous owner (or importer) turned that seal wear area down to fix wear grooves or damage and installed a smaller ID seal. This is why the newer 'red' style uses a replaceable wear collar.

Return to “Specs, Capacities, Other”