Replacing A Head Gasket

Have repair or maintenance instructions that you want to share with other Yanmar owners? Post them here.

Moderator: Aaron

Aaron
Site Administrator

Replacing A Head Gasket

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:02 pm

We have just published a new article on replacing a head gasket. You can click on the link below to view it.

http://www.hoyetractor.com/head-gasket.htm

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Re: Replacing A Head Gasket

Postby agirlandhertractor » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 pm

What causes a head gasket to need to be re-torqued after initial warmup?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm

It is my understanding from reading various articles when I was in the hotrod world...

The factory head gaskets are typically rigid. They don't need re-torqued but they are very picky on surface condition. Everything must be very flat and perfectly smooth.

Replacement head gaskets are typically composite because they are more forgiving on surface condition. They can compensate for some scratches and rust and slightly warped surfaces. They do, however, compress over time and it is typically recommend that they are retorqued as they 'settle in'.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:40 pm

How many times should I retorque a new head gasket? I re-torqued the first time after warming up the engine for 10 minutes, then allowing it to cool back to room temp about 6 hours later. A few of the center bolts (which were brand new along with fresh chased threads) had to be torqued down a good bit again. I was kind of surprised at that, but then it helps understand why last year's head gasket blew (I did not re-torque last year).

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 am

I would personally retorque until they quit moving but once is usually enough. My guess is that the next time they probably wont move much if at all.

Return to “Tutorials & Instructions”