Yanmar Tractor Support Message Board

Welcome to the Hoye Tractor technical support forum.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 5' tiller on Yanmar 1500
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm 
I found a 5 foot Yanmar tiller for sale and I am very seriously considering purchasing it. It is in decent shape, but it does have two broke tines on it; but for the price seems worth it. My primary concern is will my Yanmar 1500 handle and adequately lift, turn the tines, and move through the red Alabama clay and post oak? My second concern is regarding the availability of replacement tines for the tiller. I heard a rumor that you could no longer purchase the hardened steel tines they were originally shipped with and had to settle for a replacement made of a soft grade of steel that wasn't nearly as durable. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm 

I have a yanmar rs1300 tiller which is 51" and a YM2002D tractor. They are a pretty good match. I wouldn't want anything any bigger and I doubt my ground here in East Texas is quite as hard as your red clay. We do have it around here, just not where I till. I turn my ground with a turning plow before tilling. Wouldn't have to, but it makes it easier on the tiller. I really think a 4 footer would be a better match for your 1500.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 am 
As it turns I passed on the 5 foot tiller and found a 4' tiller and bought it. This one needs a little more work. It has a crunched corner(cosmetic only), a 4 inch tear in the real flap(again cosmetic), 5 or 6 tines missing, and several others are loose, but the gear box appears to be in perfect shape with zero play. I am working on getting the drive shaft shortened right now by 3 inches. My biggest issue right now seems to be hooking it up correctly to the tractor (ym1500) so that it doesn't come in contact with the rear tires. I'm not really sure what direction to mount the triangular bracket and top link so that the tiller hangs correctly but I think with a little advice, and some trial and error, I'll get that sorted out. I'll post more information later in the week and try to include a picture so someone here that is more knowledgeable that me can tell me what I am doing wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm 

I had some of the same problems when I purchased my rs1300 tiller. I had to fabricate a shorter top link and shorten my drive shaft. I probably was suppose to have one of those special top brackets but my shorter top link works great. I ended up with my tiller gearbox in just about a vertical position which allows it to clear my tires by about 4" or so. I think that 4 footer will be a good match for your tractor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 am 

I have a YM1500 and I just bought a Yanmar tiller. The tines are about 50" wide. The top deck measures 53" wide. I have not found a way to identify the correct model of this tiller yet. The previous owner welded a 1/2" thick x 7" long x 4" wide steel extension plate to the mount that held the lift arm pins to move the tiller further back from the rear tires. My tines are about 75% worn out but it still did a very nice job when I tried it out on grassy untilled ground. The first pass was not deep but the second and third pass was letting it float full weight on the ground. The soil was tilled very soft and 8" deep. The 1500 did a good job working this tiller but i could bog it down if I let the tiller dig too deep all at once. I believe a new set of tines would cut better and put less strain on the tractor. I'm gonna sharpen the tines I have and try it again just to see what difference that could can make. All my old tines have completely blunt edges right now. In previously tilled soil, I bet even these worn out tines would perform admirable.