2210 fuel issue - injectors or pump?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

trentonearl
Volunteer Poster

2210 fuel issue - injectors or pump?

Postby trentonearl » Mon May 11, 2020 9:06 am

Hi,
Last weekend I was running my tractor for several hours in the morning just fine. I stopped to have lunch, came back out and couldn't get it to start.

I noticed that the fuel tank was collapsing... Last fall I replaced the fuel tank cap with a new one and must have lost the vent.

Anyway, put new fuel in, replaced the fuel filter, bled fuel several times all the way to the injectors, but still can't get it to start, other than a few times it ran for about 15 seconds before stalling. When I pull the fuel lines from the injectors and crank the engine, I see spurts of fuel from both lines, but at this point I don't know how much fuel I should be seeing coming out from each. I don't want to waste money on a new injector pump if that's not the problem.

I have tried tapping lightly on the pump flange while cranking the engine, didn't see any change in the amount of fuel coming to the injectors.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 2210 fuel issue - injectors or pump?

Postby Aaron » Mon May 11, 2020 11:53 am

Those pumps really don't like to be ran out of fuel if there is any water in the fuel (flash rust). I would probably try the test below.

No matter what you do - DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! I have had several calls last week that began with a simple problem with a simple solution and ended up needing new pistons.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/support/kno ... &suggest=1

1- remove the injector from your engine.
2- hook the steel fuel line back up the the injector with the injector facing away from the engine.
3- Bleed the fuel system. http://www.hoyetractor.com/bleed.htm
4- turn the engine over and let the fuel spray out of the injector onto a piece of cardboard.

WARNING!!!!! the fuel leaves the injector at about 3,000 psi! The fuel spray will slice into your skin and, if diesel gets into your body, can KILL you! Dont ever let the fuel spray on you!

You are looking for a nice round mist pattern on the cardboard. If the fuel "squirts" or the pattern is irregular, you have problems & may need a new injector.

Not sure if it is the injector that is bad or the pump? Try a different injector or try the same injector on one of the other fuel lines.

trentonearl
Volunteer Poster

Postby trentonearl » Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks Aaron...

I pulled the injectors out and tested them, both seem to have a nice steady spray every cycle. Put it back together and still won't start. I assume this means the pump is probably OK, and the injectors too? I'm wondering if maybe my problem is low compression (tired old engine).

One thing I noticed when taking the injectors out was, first of all, the injectors came right out. I was afraid I'd need the removal tool. Also, I'm just now looking at the parts diagram but I didn't notice any fiber washer, upper chamber, or copper washer below the injectors. It seemed like the injectors are sitting right down on a tapered cone into the cylinder. I should have taken a picture.

I think I will order fiber washers, uppers, and copper washers just in case.

I bought this tractor two summers ago, and while it has run fine, it has always taken a bit to get it started. Maybe I'm losing compression through bad seal at the injectors? Maybe just worn cylinders/rings?

Let me know if you think I'm on the wrong track, or any other suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 pm

You can spray a little soapy water around the injector to see if it is leaking compression around it. Probably what you are seeing is the upper chamber. It has a little dome in the middle

trentonearl
Volunteer Poster

Postby trentonearl » Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 am

You're right, I'm seeing the upper chamber there.

I tried the soapy water trick, and I'm seeing bubbles around the injectors. I ordered some fiber washers, coming tomorrow. Guess I shoulda paid for faster shipping?

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if that does the trick. Very much appreciated.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 pm

All of the shippers (UPS, Postal, And FedEx) are struggling to keep up. They are all having delays. UPS has even stopped guaranteeing Next Day, 2nd day, and 3 day deliveries.

trentonearl
Volunteer Poster

Postby trentonearl » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Are my upper injection chambers in upside down? Dome is facing upward, like a bowl. I’ll try and post a pic.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed May 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Thought Aaron would answer. I am not 100% but believe the bowl faces down. Maybe Aaron will
correct me if I am wrong.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Sorry for the delay. It has been a busy week. The part you see in my picture faces up towards the injector.

Return to “Tech Support”