YM1510D Stuck in gear

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM1510D Stuck in gear

Postby winston » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 am

What is confusing to me is that when you hit the brakes the wheels stopped spinning but the motor kept running. Something somewhere had to release for that to happen. The reason I asked what gear is because a higher gear might put more torque on the clutch before wheels spin. If first is all you got then so be it. I mentioned the chain so you could try this both direction thinking the back and forth might help it break loose.

Terrence
Volunteer Poster

Postby Terrence » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:06 pm

. I mentioned the chain so you could try this both direction thinking the back and forth might help it break loose.

I looked back and could not find a comment about using a chain. Could you describe what you had in mind?

In the mean time I will go back out and repeat the process of driving up against tree and pressing the brake and see what happens.

Laynes69
Volunteer Poster

Postby Laynes69 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:20 pm

I had an 8n ford with a stuck clutch. I did everything and nothing worked. I decided to wedge the clutch pedal to keep it down and maybe a week later the clutch released on it's own. I thought it never would've released

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:35 am

Terrence wrote:
. I mentioned the chain so you could try this both direction thinking the back and forth might help it break loose.

I looked back and could not find a comment about using a chain. Could you describe what you had in mind?

In the mean time I will go back out and repeat the process of driving up against tree and pressing the brake and see what happens.

I guess old age hit again. I had read that in another thread. Tie a chain around the tree and after first pushing against the tree, then pull backwards against the chained tree in order to work a back and forth effort. Did you read through the attached thread on page one telling of others ideas?

I still do not understand how when pushing and applying the brakes the wheels stopped turning but the motor kept running??

Terrence
Volunteer Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am

I still do not understand how when pushing and applying the brakes the wheels stopped turning but the motor kept running??

Yes, just confirmed it. Clutch pedal pressed in, driving along, press brakes, wheels stop, motor keeps running!!
I did this in 2-1 and 1-1.

I will try the chain idea against my truck as using the tree is just digging deep ruts in the soil.

Terrence
Volunteer Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:11 am

Laynes69 wrote:I had an 8n ford with a stuck clutch. I did everything and nothing worked. I decided to wedge the clutch pedal to keep it down and maybe a week later the clutch released on it's own. I thought it never would've released

Yes, I have the clutch locked down. Maybe a week will do the trick.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Terrence wrote:

Yes, just confirmed it. Clutch pedal pressed in, driving along, press brakes, wheels stop, motor keeps running!!
I did this in 2-1 and 1-1.

I will try the chain idea against my truck as using the tree is just digging deep ruts in the soil.

Maybe Aaron can explain this. Would almost seem to me the powershift is slipping. No matter, your clutch still seems to be stuck.

Terrence
Volunteer Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:48 pm

winston wrote:Maybe Aaron can explain this. Would almost seem to me the powershift is slipping. No matter, your clutch still seems to be stuck.

Looking forward to Aaron weighing in on this puzzle.

AltonaEric
Volunteer Poster

Postby AltonaEric » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:11 pm

Boy, I'm no expert but if it is "stuck" that badly I don't see how you're going to free it safely without splitting the tractor. The process you did makes sense, and I would think would free most sticking type situations but if it will continually spin the rears rather than break free I don't see anyother way. This assumes all linkages etc are set correctly. Do it repeatedly will really stress the other components in the drive line so be careful.

Terrence
Volunteer Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:02 pm

AltonaEric wrote:Boy, I'm no expert but if it is "stuck" that badly I don't see how you're going to free it safely without splitting the tractor. The process you did makes sense, and I would think would free most sticking type situations but if it will continually spin the rears rather than break free I don't see anyother way. This assumes all linkages etc are set correctly. Do it repeatedly will really stress the other components in the drive line so be careful.

Thank you Erik for your words of caution.

Return to “Tech Support”