Help me sort out my light issues

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Help me sort out my light issues

Postby Blue76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:53 pm

I am fairly component at most things but my fender lights have me baffled.

This tractor YM2500 had some issues under the dash from sitting so long. I took everything out. Removed all the bird nest and rodent dropping. Took note of all the electrical connections so I thought it would be simple.
Switch works... headlights work... clutch safety switch works... so now I decided to get the fender lights working.

There was two different flasher looking devices under the dash. One screwed to the sheet metal way up under the dash. It had no wires connected to it. About the size of a pill bottle. There is another small flasher connected to two green wires... one side goes to the left/right switch the other side disappears into the wiring harness. Can’t seem to figure out where it goes to.

I assumed the larger flasher under the dash was bad and previous owner installed the smaller one in its place.

There is a red wire that comes out of the harness that has 12v power on it when the switch is on that runs to the right side fender.

Two green wires come from the left / right switch that goes to each fender. I can’t get any voltage on those wires... seems like I am missing a wire somewhere or those green wires from the flasher are supposed to be getting power from somewhere. Maybe the light switch but there are no wires to connect to the light switch.

I did notice there were two red wires up at the headlights and I didn’t know why... didn’t use but one of them.

Any ideas?

Greg

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Help me sort out my light issues

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 pm

I think the (simplified) version of how those are wired is below. There is also a fuse box in the mix somewhere so it could be a bad fuse or bad connection there somewhere.

1.jpg
1.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 943 times

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Figured it out. Traced wires with a multi meter until I found it.

So now I have left and right turn signals. But how can I also have both flashing at the same time and still have left and right?

Greg

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:01 am

I don't have a strong suit and certainly not electrical. :mrgreen: Just wondering if adding an on/off switch like this would work. On position with blinker switch either way and you have flashers. Off position you then have blinkers. :?

Do you do a lot of open road driving?? :shock:
Attachments
blinker.jpg
blinker.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 913 times

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:54 am

I do drive from my house to some acreage I have often. Only about 1-1/2 miles but I want to be seen. Already had one woman try to pass me as I was turning left. Scary.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 am

I think, like Winston pointed out, you would need to add another switch to the mix in order to get both flashing.

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Ok... that’s simple enough. Thanks for helping me out. Maybe one day I will be able to help someone.

My kubota already had that function in one multi purpose switch. It controlled headlights and flashers. Don’t think that switch would fit in this tractor.

Greg

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am

winston wrote:I don't have a strong suit and certainly not electrical. :mrgreen: Just wondering if adding an on/off switch like this would work. On position with blinker switch either way and you have flashers. Off position you then have blinkers. :?

Do you do a lot of open road driving?? :shock:

This worked. I added a simple switch and now I have both flashing if i want or turn signals. Thanks

Return to “Tech Support”