Replacing blown head gasket on YM 2210

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Replacing blown head gasket on YM 2210

Postby pat55 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:41 am

I need to replace a blown head gasket on my YM 2210 (water in oil/white smoke), what other gaskets will I need to get ? So far I think I also need a valve cover gasket and a front cover gasket. Can anyone else verify if that's correct. Thanks

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Replacing blown head gasket on YM 2210

Postby winston » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I don't know what front cover gasket you might be talking about. No need to remove the front gear cover. Maybe this head end cover. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/CG-4450.htm, this. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/WPG-4450.htm, maybe this. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/WPG-2000.htm, maybe this. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/MG-1450.htm

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Postby pat55 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:29 pm

So I got the parts and disassembled all down to the old gasket and it was blown at one of the water holes and there was signs of water on one cylinder head and in the exhaust manifold and in the oil. I cleaned everything u at the old gasket, drained the oil,changed the oil filter and installed the new head gasket and re assembled it all back together,bled the fuel system and tried to start up....no luck after several tries just a small bit of white smoke from the exhaust. I tried again to bleed the fuel lines at the injectors and it seemed there was not much fuel being delivered. So I took a fuel line loose at the injector pump outlet and was not getting any pressurized spurts..just dribbles same as at the injectors.
Could water be trapped in the pump itself ???? The manual doesn't say much about that scenario and testing the pump pressure is a high tech set up and removal...any thoughts ???? Should fuel be squirting out at high pressure with the line off at the pump ??

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:27 am

High pressure requires resistance. When pumping into open air there is no resistance so no high pressure. There would not be a large volume either. Did you bleed starting at the filter and going all the way to the injector with the process?

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Postby pat55 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 am

Winston- yes all points were bied, makes sense on the "no resistance-no high pressure"
Aaron- thanks for the link,I'll try the hammer tapping next

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 am

... There would not be a large volume either.

Also very true. Keep in mind that these engines will run at full throttle for almost an entire day on just a few gallons of fuel. There will not be much volume when cranking over the engine.

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Postby pat55 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:48 am

Ok getting ready to try the hammer tapping when starting to see if the fuel pump plunger is stuck, if that doesn't work then I guess the next step would be to check the injector spray pattern( which should be high pressure per manual) and see if that looks right or there is a problem there

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Postby pat55 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Ok..the hammer tapping on the fuel pump while cranking did Nothing, I am getting fuel at the injectors when I bleed there so I'm guessing the fuel pump is working...so I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve gaps and they all had to be reset between .006 and .008 I set them all at .007, put back together and still nothing. I also tried spraying diesel directly into the air intake at the valve cover opening and still no start up. Any ideas what to try next ?????

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Your idea about checking injector spray pattern might be a good one if your convinced your getting a good flow to the injectors without air.

pat55
Volunteer Poster

Postby pat55 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Success finally !!!!!!! I decided to try bleeding the injectors one last time and ran it with no compression until they were both flowing fuel out...tried to to start..NOTHING...then I said wait what about the banjo bolts at the fuel recovery tubing on top of the injectors,so I disconnected the recovery tubes and spun again with no compression until I saw drips at the tubes and kicked compression back on and she started chugging and coughing, then I knew I had it. Hooked the tubes back together and the tractor finally started back up and ran good. I ran it for about 45 minutes dragging manure and no issues !!!!
Thanks for your inputs !!!

Return to “Tech Support”