3cyl Yanmar runs away, heavy white smoke

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Cody284
Volunteer Poster

3cyl Yanmar runs away, heavy white smoke

Postby Cody284 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 pm

I have a 2001~ Yanmar 3tne68c-enjg out of a deere greens mower that I’m trying to get running for a project I’m working on. The injection pump would not pump any fuel so I pulled out the part with the plungers and one of the plungers was stuck all the way up in the compression stroke. I assume cause it has been sitting for years. Well I got the plunger freed up but I had pulled the rack off to do so. I put it all back together and now it starts but will run away and I have to be ready with a rag to choke it. Also there is a heavy white smoke from the exhaust and it’s slobbering black liquid (which I assume is diesel). I was sure to have not lost any parts (yes I have all the shims for the pump) I believe I got something off time where the racks engages the geared rollers on the assembly with the plungers and I can’t find any literature on how to time that. I pulled the exhaust manifold off to see which cylinders it was coming from and it’s coming from all three. Any help would be much appreciated

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 3cyl Yanmar runs away, heavy white smoke

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 am

That is pretty common when those pumps are disassembled. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone taking those apart and getting it to run right again. They usually have to go to a diesel injection shop to get recalibrated. The Yanmar service manuals have about 15 pages dedicated to assembly & calibration of those pumps using lots of specialized equipment.

1.jpg
1.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 151 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 3cyl Yanmar runs away, heavy white smoke

Postby winston » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am

email me @ mabe1945@hotmail.com for a pdf for what it is worth.

Return to “Tech Support”