YM2500

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

YM2500

Postby Blue76 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:56 pm

I will try to make this short.

Bought some land with an abandoned tractor on it. Pulled it out of the woods and decided to try to get it running. Injector pump was stuck. Slide wouldn’t work and plungers wouldn’t move.
Pulled the pump. Soaked it in PBBlaster for a couple of days. Disassembled some of it but left alone the parts on e plunger side. Only took out the spring and fluted parts to clean.

Anyway... reassembled everything. Bled the lines and the thing fired right up... however... it is smoking like a freight train. The idle wants to climb slowly and rpms get so high I have to pull decompression cable to slow it down.

Thoughts? I just reused the shims that we’re on it. It is possible the gears that run on the rack could have moved during cleaning. I tried to be careful but... anything is possible.

Should I have the pump rebuilt? If I do or if I buy a pump. How do I know how to shim the pump? Am I over my head here?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: YM2500

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 am

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone taking those pumps apart and getting them to run correctly afterwards. They usually need to be recalibrated at a diesel injection shop. I think if one cylinder was putting out more fuel than the others it would do what you described.

Is the smoke unburned fuel or oil? Do you have fresh fuel in the tank & lines? I would probably remove the exhaust manifold and see if the smoke was coming from just one cylinder.

The timing is set at the factory and should not need adjusted. Just reuse the same shims.

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks Aaron. Do you recommend anyone to work on this pump?

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am

I don't know of anyone specifically but you can just do a Bing search for 'diesel injection pump rebuilder'. Typically the price to rebuild is very close to the price of a new pump though.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/2500FUEL.htm

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:25 pm

One other question on this... before I buy or rebuild the pump is there anything else that would cause this condition that I should check before spending that money only to find I still have the issues? Like injectors or something I am not thinking of?

I did also notice when I had the pump out that the arm that connects to the rack on the pump hardly moves at all when I work the throttle lever back and forth. I would say it is only moving the rack a quarter of an inch. Maybe that is correct? I can’t see what it connects to or how the whole action works inside the case.

Greg

Return to “Tech Support”