Yanmar 2010D front end rebuilding

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar 2010D front end rebuilding

Postby johnw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:47 pm

I've got a Yanmar 2010D tractor. The front knuckle assemblies have been leaking so I'm trying to replace seals, etc. I have the parts on hand now that I ordered from Hoye. While disassembling the RH side (looking from the front of the tractor) I noticed strange things when I dropped the knuckle from the spindle. I'm not sure what these items are. I see on your schematic, there are items 6,7 & 8 (spindle washer, spindle snap ring and front axle spacer. One of the items looks like it might be the spacer. Another item might be a snap ring but not a snap ring I am accustom to seeing. There are no holes to use a snap ring plier for remove or inserting. I do not see a groove on the spindle for a snap ring either. I am attaching pics of the spindle and the snap ring(?) along with the other items (they seem to be destroyed). I also disassembled the LH side to see what was on it for comparison. It was basically the same but only with the spacer.
1- I need your help in determining what items I need to order.
2- I need help in the assembly of these items as I mentioned there is no groove for a snap ring.
3- Is there supposed to be some type of sleeve or bushing that fits in the bore of the knuckle where the spindle fits into? The spindle diameter and the knuckle bore are measuring the same size. Best I could do using dial calipers anyway.

Thanks for your help.
John Belford

Okay, after about 2 hours trying to attach images, I give up. Why is it not working?

Okay, now I'm only able to see 2 files loaded. Don't know what is happening. I have 5 others I want to add.
Attachments
(8).jpg
Right hand spindle
(8).jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
(5)-1.jpg
Right hand spindle w/items
(5)-1.jpg (165.76 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Last edited by johnw on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Yanmar 2010D front end rebuilding

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

Okay, after about 2 hours trying to attach images, I give up. Why is it not working?

What message are you receiving when you try to attach your picture? My guess is the pictures are just too large (file size). If so, you can use a free image resizing program like:

http://www.picresize.com

There is nothing to download. It is free. It is all done on the website and it will allow you to reduce the size of the image to a reasonable size for uploading.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 am

I believe there is a two picture limit. Just start a new thread and add two and another to add the last.

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 am

winston wrote:I believe there is a two picture limit. Just start a new thread and add two and another to add the last.
winston wrote:I believe there is a two picture limit. Just start a new thread and add two and another to add the last.

Thanks Winston. I hate to not totally understand some terms and don't want to add a new posting. What do you mean by new thread?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am

Sorry, my terminology is not correct. Maybe a new post would have been correct. In other words, when you reply you can add 2 more pictures.

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 am

and more pics.
Also, while removing the old gasket from the knuckle and mating surface, there seems to have possibly been used a sealant.
Maybe Permatex? Should a sealant be used?

Also, thanks for your help Winston.
Attachments
rsz_unknown.jpg
rsz_unknown.jpg (151.55 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 am

Well, looks like a couple pics didn't post. I'll try again here.
Attachments
rsz_left_side_spindle.jpg
rsz_left_side_spindle.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
rsz_knuckle.jpg
rsz_knuckle.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:35 am

Better pic of spindle with items that I'm not sure about.
Attachments
rsz_right_spindle_with_items.jpg
rsz_right_spindle_with_items.jpg (15.83 KiB) Viewed 4027 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am

The sealant could be used. I think personal preference. If I were using a new gasket I wouldn't use it. Just my opinion.

I have looked your pictures and part drawing over and over and over and can't figure it out. When looking up into the upper knuckle housing does the spindle and gears all appear to be as it should be. Nothing loose, no slack?

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:40 pm

In the last pic attached, these items are only just hanging there. I believe they should be up and almost against the bevel gear shown. I believe the bottom item is possibly the spacer. That just happens to be where they stopped coming off the spindle when I dropped the knuckle assembly.
As for the gasket, it is very thin and I didn't know if best to use a sealant also.
Doesn't seem to have anything loose or slack.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:27 pm

If the parts drawing has the parts in the correct order then right underneath the gear should be #6 (spindle washer), followed by #7 (snap ring) that holds the gear up https://th.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/2 ... uCode=WR28, then #8 (spacer). There should be a snap ring groove in the shaft right below the gear.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm

2.jpg
2.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

1.jpg
1.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks Aaron,
I figured that out from conversations with Winston and further viewing of the right hand to left hand side of the tractor front end plus additional viewing in the service manual I recently purchased form Hoye. Now, I'm buying a press so I can disassemble the spindle assemblies and replace bearings, etc., which I need to order.
On another note, I purchased from Hoye the TRA -230 rod assembly, which items need to be assembled. Trying to assemble, I discovered that the LH threads on the TRA-Tube230 appears to be defective in some way. I had ordered two TRA1813 tie rod ends because I am also rebuilding the TRA-123 tie rod assembly. Neither of the tie rod ends will screw into the LH threads. I already have the RH tie rod ends installed. I also tried the old LH tie rod end and it does not screw in either. I'm trying to find a M17-1.5 LH tap to chase the threads, but so far no luck. I've cleaned the threads the best I can with cleaner and air. Nothing is working. Really don't want to have to order another one and send this one back for credit because it is pieces to assemble and all I need is the actual tube itself. Any suggestions?

John

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Sorry about that. Is it just not able to be hand tightened or will it not screw in with a wrench either? You don't want to force it and get it stuck but sometimes the threads can be a little tight on that kind of stuff. I have not had any problems with those threads before but there is certainly always a first time. They are made for us by a company here in the USA and they typically make really nice stuff. We would be happy to swap it out/fix it or there are a few different sources for inexpensive M17 LH taps if you do decide to go that path. Just let me know if I can help.

https://www.amazon.com/M17-Metric-Left- ... 01AKDS1YS/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M2-M20-Metric- ... 2222845851

johnw
Volunteer Poster

Postby johnw » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find something locally, but LH thread is the issue. Local shop I've found near me might have something. I just need to take the parts there to see. Not sure if I can get there for the next couple days. Health issues with family members.
Man, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the steering arms removed so I can take the parts apart to see what else I may need to order. I've sprayed both down several times with a solvent type liquid to loosen or break stuck parts loose. Nothing so far.
I'm surely open for suggestions.

Return to “Tech Support”