1702D front wheel working loose

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

oldbrownhat
Volunteer Poster

1702D front wheel working loose

Postby oldbrownhat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Darn… it’s happened again. This first occurred in 2012- the right front wheel came off. It’s worked loose a couple of times since, and again a few days ago. It seems the toothed washer that is supposed to hold the locknut from turning fails (the bent tooth breaks?) and the locknut gradually works itself off the end of the stub axle.

Seems this only happens on the right side. AFAIK, all the other parts are present as required. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be causing this? Many of this wheel’s parts have been replaced, due to severe damage that happened in 2012, so the rest of the assembly is in good shape. Fortunately this time there is no visible damage to the gears or other components, with the exception of the lock washer & axle nut, so those are the only parts needing replacement. I’ll order 3 or 4 of each (HLW-30 & HLN-30) though, to have some spares on hand.

1702D Frt.axle detail.jpg
1702D Frt.axle detail.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

ADDENDUM: It would seem that there must be some looseness somewhere that is allowing a little movement to gradually weaken and flex the external teeth that are supposed to hold the axle nut in place.
If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents,
he would promise them missionaries for dinner. (H.L. Mencken)

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 1702D front wheel working loose

Postby winston » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Looked in a 220/226 manual that has the same setup. It gives no instructions about tightening the nut. How tight are you tightening it before locking down?

oldbrownhat
Volunteer Poster

Postby oldbrownhat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 pm

As I recall, I tightened it as far as possible that allowed the external teeth to engage the two slots in the wheel nut. It would seem that this may be the critical factor as I'd imagine any slop could allow the nut and washer to move and this could, over time, weaken the external tooth. I'm thinking that I might be able to use an extra shim or two to "stop" the wheel nut in just the right place to allow the teeth to engage with the slots with no extra movement.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

I would agree the nut should be good and tight before locking down.

oldbrownhat
Volunteer Poster

Postby oldbrownhat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am

I was sure I had a couple of spare wheel nuts & lock washers, but if so, I'll only find them AFTER I receive the order I just placed.
Hopefully the lock washers are the thicker ones with two internal teeth to engage both slots in the stub axle. Once before I got thinner ones with only one tooth.

I'll try to time the position of the nut with shims so it's nice and snug before bending the tooth over into the recess. I may even go into "belts & braces" mode and secure the locknut with Loctite Red.

Return to “Tech Support”