YM2301D won’t start

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

YM2301D won’t start

Postby Jlking01 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:54 pm

Hello everyone! Looking for some advice on a difficult starting Yanmar. I was brush hogging with my 2301 the other day when a stick came up and wedged self along the right side of the engine near the kill switch wire. The tractor immediately died. I was able to cut away the stick/branch but shortly there after when I tried to start the tractor it would only run on half throttle and only made it about 20 yards before dying. Started up again and what about 10 yards before dying again. Now it won’t start at all. Engine turns over, there is diesel fumes coming out of the exhaust. I pulled apart the Killswitch thinking that maybe it was crimped and had the engine in the run range however even manually advancing the Killswitch all the way forward still will not allow the engine to start. I topped off the fuel today, battery is good. Fuel switch is on and filter has fuel in it. Ran perfectly fine before dying so I don’t think it’s a compression issue. Seems like there is something just limiting the engine from running. If anyone has any insight or suggestions I would really appreciate it! I know it Has to be something simple that I am missing. Has anyone had kill switches break off internally? The switch itself still has compression and springs forward whenever I manually advance it. The throttle works as expected and all lines are moving forward with throttle advancement. I’m perplexed. Thank you all for your advice

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2301D won’t start

Postby winston » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Sounds like it is over my pay grade. However, it seems evident this all happened with the stick so I would think you need to figure out just what that stick could have done. When you take the kill cable loose at the engine what kind of feel do you have when moving the lever? Feel like it is moving something inside?

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jlking01 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm

When I pull it free it feels like it should. Everything moves smoothly. I’m gonna pull off the mount it’s attached to on my day off. It’s the only thing I can think of and maybe the kill switch snapped inside despite it feeling normal on the outside.. The only thing the stick could have hit is my fuel filter. It’s tight and fuel is flowing. I consider myself slightly mechanically inclined but this is perplexing me. It’s even more frustrating knowing it’s got to be something simple.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:43 am

You are using the word switch, actually, I don't think there is a switch involved. When you pull that cable I believe it internally moves the rack on the injection pump to minimum or closed position. In other words, shuts the fuel off. You might try going through the bleed procedure making sure you
don' t have any air in your lines. https://www.hoyetractor.com/bleed.htm

You might try removing the inspection cover right below your injection pump so you can observe the rack movement on your pump when you actuate the throttle and kill cables.

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jlking01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Winston, your a wealth of knowledge!
You are correct. There is no switch but rather a cable. After removing the inspection plate, the rack seems to have some but very minimal movement with the kill cable moves. Im not sure how much movement it should have... Would make sense something broke from here with a stick jamming itself up into the cable and exerting force on it. If I use just a small shot of ether it starts right up but dies quickly after so it’s definitely a fuel issue. Unfortunately it looks like a real pain to get access into this area to pull apart. Before pulling it apart I’m going to bleed the system but I suspect no fuel is getting up past the injection pump if this is stuck in the off position and not allowing any fuel past. Would I need to pull the injection pump to get access to this area? Seems As the hydraulic pump sits right behind this I could get access if I pull part of this off versus coming at it from the front but it looks like I would have to remove my fan radiator and alternator to get any access. Unfortunately the only books I have for parts is the American version of this gray model the YM276 which is surprisingly quite a bit different.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 pm

I would advise against using ether. These Yanmars suffer piston and ring damage very quick from it.

Hopefully, Aaron will step in here, I too, have no drawings that might help you. I don't know just how that kill cable hooks up internally. Aaron probably knows.

What does your rack do when you move the throttle? Nothing?

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jlking01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. The rack seems to move with throttle movement! Again not sure how much movement but it’s certainly more than when moving the kill cable.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 pm

The kill cable only puts pressure on the governor if I remember correctly so it might not move much unless the engine is running. Do you have a loader on the tractor? Any chance the stick could have popped off a quick disconnect? We have seen that a lot. Those engines are hard to start when there is a deadheaded hydraulic pump causing a lot of load on the engine.

Even 1 very small shot of ether can cause very expensive damage.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:09 pm

You being there will have to make the call whether the rack on the pump is opening enough. "IF" the rack is opening and still not trying to start then something else is going on. If you are questioning whether the rack is moving enough you might try opening it a little by hand with an assistant using the key.

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jlking01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Thank you both for the advice. No there is no loader on it. The rack is moving so I’m clueless. I’ll crack the fuel lines going to the injectors and see if fuel is coming out of each line.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 am

Good idea, might go through the whole bleed process. Have you inspected your fuel bowl real close? Maybe that stick hit it or some part of the inlet line going to the pump.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am

Did the stick move the fuel shutoff on the filter to the closed position?

Jlking01
Volunteer Poster

Postby Jlking01 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Thank you both for the information! After bleeding the lines she started up and ran like a top! I have no idea why she died in the first place since the fuel never ran out but who knows. Thank you both for your insight. You are a world of knowledge for these old tractors.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 am

Glad your up and running.

Return to “Tech Support”