Glow Plugs

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Dirtymax08
Volunteer Poster

Glow Plugs

Postby Dirtymax08 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Hello, I am new to the diesel world and I have a question regarding glow plugs. I have a FX18D 3 cyl diesel and my question since my wiring is pretty much shot, do I need a constant 9-11 volts to my glow plugs to avoid any damage other than having them to start the tractor? Tractor starts fine however I have to disconnect the main harness as its not charging due to shorts and faults and tractor seems to continue to run fine but will this cause any issues? I live in S. Texas and our winter is like a 29* like a 2-3 times the season and that is it. any info is appreciated, thanks!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Glow Plugs

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 am

Other than the engine shutoff solenoid, that engine technically does not need any power to it ever. You could run it all day without a battery. The glow plugs will just help the engine start easier but are not required for operation. The glow plugs only get power when the key is in the TS position and in the start position.

Dirtymax08
Volunteer Poster

Re: Glow Plugs

Postby Dirtymax08 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Thank you for the info Aaron, this will help me with the (whatever I have left) wiring on the tractor. The shut off solenoid also took a nose dive so I am just using a manual pull cable to shut it off. I just need to search this forum on how to make a stand alone 12 Volt charging system as I do want to add lights and possibly a rear winch for a hoist/boom. Again thanks and so far it has been running pretty good after I start it but again I wasn't sure if the glow plugs were needed to keep the engine running or if I was damaging it. Thanks!

Return to “Tech Support”