3110D oil pickup tube

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

wethomas
Volunteer Poster

3110D oil pickup tube

Postby wethomas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Working on rebuilding my 3110D field find tractor. During disassembly, I didn't pay attention to the oil pump pickup tube design. It looked straight forward, like a screen attached to a steel tube.

Its not.

The tube is designed with a "trough" cut out on the end, encased by the screen. I didn't note which orientation the "trough" was in (up or down). The manual only details the installation of the tube as so many turns in as not to obstruct the oil pump pickup port in the threaded portion of the block. It does not address the "trough" orientation.

I'm inclined to think that the trough faces up, because; if it faced down it could trap an air bubble if the tractor was at some extreme up or down angle.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance to all of yall that contribute/support this forum.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: 3110D oil pickup tube

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:43 am

Sorry I do not know and I dont have one still in a block that I can look at.

wethomas
Volunteer Poster

Postby wethomas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:03 am

Just in case someone wants to know, I found a grainy picture in the service manual that shows the trough of the pickup pointing down towards the oil pan. Just as we reasoned out.

Pointing it down makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the help

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am

Thank you for the update. I'm sure this will help more than one person in the next few years.

Gary Yancey
Volunteer Poster

Postby Gary Yancey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 am

Did Aaron say down or did you base that off the picture? My 2210D pickup tube has rows of holes in one side and according to the parts manual they point up. I think this is important to know before adding oil and starting a fresh rebuild.

wethomas
Volunteer Poster

Postby wethomas » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 am

The installation information came from the Hoye version of the 3110 shop manual. There is a photo(cant tell you what page at the present), that shows the trough of the oil pickup tube pointing down.

I combined this with the fact that every other engine I've built or worked on has the oil pickup pointing down, led me to the determination to install as depicted in the photo.

My tube design does not have any holes, just a trough cutout, surrounded by a coarse weave steel screen, tack welded in place with a full end cap (solid stamped steel in construction, also tacked in place.

I must also add that it has been confirmed that no one has been into this engine (thank goodness) and there is no possibility that the tube was replaced with another one.

It sounds to me that yanmar used several tube designs, but the design in the photo is exactly the design I have.

Thanks,

Ted Thomas

wethomas
Volunteer Poster

Postby wethomas » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:52 am

I need to further add that if you install the tube as detailed in the manual, you end up with the trough pointing generally down.

Return to “Tech Support”