YM2000 REBUILD 2 cylinder Rebuild 2TR20A

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

nothead14
Volunteer Poster

YM2000 REBUILD 2 cylinder Rebuild 2TR20A

Postby nothead14 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:19 pm

I recently rebuilt my YM2000. Installed new sleeves,pistons,rings. Had valves ground and head surfaced by a company that builds race engines. Put it back together but I had questions about the rings not having any dots or bevels showing which way they went on piston as far as top and bottom. Diesel mechanic looked at rings and said he had never seen any without markings but I would know when I cranked it up. It would smoke and it did. I talked with Aaron I bought parts from and he stated to put them on the way they came out of the pact but it doesn't matter they can go on either way. Went back into engine again thinking maybe a broken ring. Not the issue when I had it apart again. Saw nothing wrong with the sleeve,piston or rings and neither did the diesel mechanic. We put it back together with a new set of rings putting them on the way they came out of pack.Had the same issue when engine started. It smokes terrible. Engine has ran at least 30 minutes off and on but will not stop smoking. Are the rings not seating yet? Does anyone know if this would be an issue with the sleeves and pistons and rings being miss matched with the wrong size sleeves? The diesel mechanic does not understand what is causing this and he has been doing this over 30 years. I showed a video to the racing shop that rebuilt my head and they think that maybe I got the wrong parts as far as the size of piston and sleeves. We have adjusted the valves 3 or 4 different ways and nothing changes. Has anyone had this issue after rebuild? Please post any ideas you may have. Pic attached of smoke from exhaust. Could not attach video. Thanks Ken
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.88 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.88 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2000 REBUILD 2 cylinder Rebuild 2TR20A

Postby winston » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:36 am

have you checked for bubbles in the radiator? Are you confident on clean fuel? Has the injection pump been removed and put back with different shims?

nothead14
Volunteer Poster

Postby nothead14 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Haven't looked for bubbles in the radiator. What would that mean if I had them? I replaced the injector pump and put the same shims back trying the new pump but there wasn't much difference. I put the old pump back on. Ken

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Water in the cylinders caused by cracked head or leaking head gasket is one thing that produces that color smoke. Water in fuel could do the same. If a head gasket id blown you very often get bubbles in the radiator. Just putting some things out there to consider.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 am

Does the engine start easily (without starting fluid)?

What does the smoke smell like? That can help determine the source sometimes.

Your tractor sucks intake air through the valve cover. If the valve cover gasket slips or does not seal for whatever reason it can let oil get sucked into the intake.

Try loosening one injection line at a time while the engine is running. Does loosening one line make a change that the other does not?

Blue76
Volunteer Poster

Postby Blue76 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:41 pm

I know this is old. Just wondering what his resolution was. Mine is also smoking after new rings. But not as bad as his.

Greg

Return to “Tech Support”