YM-165D won't turn over - switch???

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Randy Gochnour
Volunteer Poster

YM-165D won't turn over - switch???

Postby Randy Gochnour » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Hello
(Brand new here...)
Bought this tractor used over five years ago. Have never had any trouble turning it over when trying to start it until yesterday.
Turned the key and noticed when ON, that the oil pressure light was not lit and when I turned it to Start nothing happened. No clicks, no slow low battery kind of cranking, nothing.
Put a volt meter on the big white wire terminal of the switch and it was reading about 12.6V when OFF. As soon as it was turned to ON, the voltage dropped to around 4V. Another voltmeter directly connected to the battery was still reading 12.7V

After a lot of fruitless trial and error trying to find anything hooked to the switch that made any difference when not hooked to the switch I gave up and put it back together and when I turned the switch to ON the oil pressure light came on and when I switched to Start, it cranked like a champ. But I didn't start it, switched it back to ON and the oil pressure light was off again and nothing would happen when switched to Start... A few minutes later I got a repeat of that except when I tried to Start, it cranked a few times and ten stopped, back to being dead.

I'm thinking I need a new switch. After all, it is probably the original switch from the early 1980's. Is it a coincidence that the Hoye banner at the top of these pages includes an image of a new switch? :D

thanks for any help

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM-165D won't turn over - switch???

Postby winston » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Switch sounds possible. I would try cranking at the starter with a screwdriver or remote switch. If it turns over it would point to a faulty switch or switch wiring.

Randy Gochnour
Volunteer Poster

Postby Randy Gochnour » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:33 am

winston wrote:Switch sounds possible. I would try cranking at the starter with a screwdriver or remote switch. If it turns over it would point to a faulty switch or switch wiring.

Do you mean somehow put 12V directly to the connector on the starter solenoid (I think - the smaller thing on top of the starter) where the wire from the switch (through the clutch "safety switch") plugs in? Well, if that's now what you meant, that is what I tried and there was no cranking. Didn't even notice any sparking when I touched the jumper wire to the terminal.
But if there is something wrong with the starter I don't understand how just turning the switch to ON fails to light the oil pressure light.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:49 am

Looking at this picture (yours may not be just like it, but similar) you would want to touch screwdriver from the one marked to battery to the small one labeled to switch. That will engage your starter if you have good current to the battery and starter is good. Make sure you are in neutral, don't want to get run over.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/support/kno ... article=76

Randy Gochnour
Volunteer Poster

Postby Randy Gochnour » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

There was no "action" at the starter when jumping the 12V to the connections.

So now I feel dumb - finally took the grounding wire off at the bolt to the frame, took a wire wheel on a drill to that part of the frame and the terminal on the cable and bolted it back on. Did the same at the battery end of the ground cable. And it cranked right over.... I had given that a cursory check and it "seemed" like it was good and tight. Maybe it was, maybe it needed a good cleaning. Don't know for sure but I learned a lesson. :oops:

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:26 am

I do believe that connection wins the prize for the highest percentage of cranking failure on all Yanmar forums.

Return to “Tech Support”