another starter issue

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

wgriffin
Volunteer Poster

another starter issue

Postby wgriffin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Having fits from my YM2000. I overworked it and blew the head out in the woods, then seemed to have cooked the starter. My fault - installed a new head and a new gear driven starter, all parts from Hoye of course. But now the starter is still a problem.
Installed the Chinese made gear driven starter, at first it started right up. Then soon it would not. Nothing, no clicks or anything. Turns out that apparently it was a loose wire somewhere. After going over that, including double checking the ground, got nothing at first. Then it started just fine for several starts.
Then it would not start again. I pulled the starter and took both the gear driven and the original to an auto parts store to have them tested. The guy there said the old one was good - he hooked it up and it did like it should - but the gear driven one was "no good". So I re-installed the old starter, and a new battery to starter cable, still nothing.
Laying a screwdriver across the hot terminal to the spade terminal (called terminal A to B in your starter testing article) gives me nothing but a click. This is more than I got with the gear driven one. Jumping from A to C gives less than that.
Turning the ignition I get a click and no more.
My headlights can't be used for help in diagnosis. They haven't worked in years so I have them unplugged anyway.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: another starter issue

Postby winston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Have you pulled the battery ground cable off at the frame and cleaned the connection?

wgriffin
Volunteer Poster

Postby wgriffin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:06 am

thanks, Winston. I re-tried that just now. No change.

wgriffin
Volunteer Poster

Postby wgriffin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 am

It sounds like the engagement gear is pushing out, but the starter is not turning over. This is with the old starter re-installed.
(When I turn the key, I hear a clear "tank" sound from the starter, no more)

Battery tests at 12.8 volts
Laying an old screwdriver across the starter's battery terminal to the control (?) terminal (A to B per Hoye's article) doesn't give me much more than sparks. Once the starter almost turned over. I am not sure I can get a good connection with just a screwdriver anyway.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am

Could try a remote such as this. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q= ... r%20switch
"If" the auto parts store test was good then you evidently have an issue elsewhere. Most times it is a bad connection, sometimes bad cable, sometimes switch, etc. Using a remote or even a screwdriver should bypass the switch eliminating that as a problem.

wgriffin
Volunteer Poster

Postby wgriffin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 am

Might try one of those remotes. We have a harbor fright nearby.
Pretty sure the starter is no good. Tests indicate that it is getting 12V or so, just not turning over.
I don't have much faith in the tests in the auto parts stores. They require a make/model etc of car to run their tests. Not having any instructions for a YM2000, they just guessed close as they could. Although one guy did get the original starter to run on his test machine.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:56 pm

I can tell you with bad connections voltage readings can be confusing. Might try watching your readings while engaging the starter. Might want to consider attaching jumper cable ground to a good grounding spot, then touch hot jumper cable to starter and see what happens.

wgriffin
Volunteer Poster

Postby wgriffin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Sounds almost like something you need to say "hey ya'll watch this" or "hold my beer" before I do it. Seriously I see what you are suggesting, though, and I tried it. I used my battery charger, first set to charge then to start. I grounded it on a head bolt. Touching the hot clamp to the 3 terminals, I got nothing on the 2 larger terminals (battery and starter motor terminals) but a spark. I got the sound of the drive gear pushing out and retracting when I touched it to the ignition terminal.
Almost convinced both starters are no good.

Return to “Tech Support”