John Deere 650

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

John Deere 650

Postby warburtonplayer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I have a John Deere 650 and the lift just started to fall when the tractor is off. I just put a brand new hydraulic screen in it in Oct 2018 and all new fluid. I checked it yesterday and it is still clean, I spoke with one of the home techs yesterday and they said try raising the lift all the way up then close the draft knob and shut the tractor off and wait a while to see if it falls. Did that and waited 24 hours and it stayed up so I think the problem is not the draft know but the rock shaft piston seals. The lever on the side of the rock shaft is stuck and will not move not sure if this could be part of the problem. Any thoughts?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: John Deere 650

Postby winston » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 am

Not sure what lever you are talking about. The feedback rod (#51) is on the end of the rockshaft but it the rockshaft moves the feedback rod would have to move. It does sound like your piston o-ring (#10) is leaking.
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... d/17490560

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... d/17520531

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 am

It is the Rock shaft control valve where the red lever is on the side of the block. It is located directly under the seat and behind the draft control knob. It has a piston that comes out of the back and goes in and out when you move the three point lever up or down.

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:52 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-650 ... Sw7a9ctpXz

This is what I am talking about. Although this model is the older one mine is square.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 am

That is the control valve. The lever your are talking about is the drop speed lever. It control how fast your 3 point goes down.

warburtonplayer
Volunteer Poster

Postby warburtonplayer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 am

Ok thanks any idea where I can find the o rings and seals for it or send it off to be rebuilt?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:25 pm

John Deere parts sight is readily available. They show 3 different valves, no idea which one you have. Thinking you might replace a couple of O-rings and maybe the end seal in it and a good clean up job. Tolerances are very close in it. I would imagine this sight could help you with the parts that are available. Your leak down problem is likely the o-ring on the lift piston.

Threeweight
Volunteer Poster

Postby Threeweight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:30 pm

If the 3 point left stays up with the control valve closed, the problem is not with your rock shaft/piston seal. It is most likely in the 3 point valve somewhere. Read this:

https://www.hoyetractor.com/brokenlift.htm

My YM1500 had the same issue this weekend... was leveling a large site for a barn with a 48" box blade, and my 3 point started to get weak Saturday and would not hold the box blade up when I turned the tractor off. By last night, I had to rev the engine pretty hard to get the blade to lift at all. Pulled the 3 point valve off in the shop and found that the O-ring that seals it to the top of the 3 point casing, above the rock shaft, had torn and blown a notch out. Had a spare on hand and the tractor was back working at 100% in 20 minutes.

Just ordered a couple more, plus a couple of gaskets, to keep on hand. This seems to be a pretty common issue when the 3 point on these little tractors is asked to do things it was not designed to do (like rip out/lift a Douglas Fir root 8" in diameter and 20' long.... thats' what I think blew mine out.)

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:44 pm

I agree with threeweight, don't know what I was thinking when I agreed it might be the lift piston o-ring.

Return to “Tech Support”