Weird Starting Problem

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

chrisg727
Volunteer Poster

Weird Starting Problem

Postby chrisg727 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 pm

So, I went out the other day to use my tractor (YM1810D). Put the key in, turned the key to ON (instrument panel lit up as normal), pulled compression release, stomped on the clutch and switched to start. NOTHING! Dash lights went out. Turned key off. Turned key back to ON...no dash lights! Figured battery was dead so recharged. Repeated process with same results. Swapped in a new battery. Same results. Swapped in another new battery with more CCA (845). Same results.

Tried jump starting from my pickup. Started right up, no problems at all. Ran for 1/2 hour then turned it off. Wouldn't start again on its own (same thing). Tried disconnecting the + lead and then reconnecting. Dash lights come on as before but no start.

Can't figure out why it will jump start OK but won't start on its own. Also can't figure out why dash lights come on again if I disconnect the + lead but once I try starting it they go out again and nothing happens.

I'm scratching my head on this one. :roll: Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Weird Starting Problem

Postby winston » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Where did you attach the leads when you jump started? Sort of sounding like your ground connection at frame needs taken loose and cleaned.

chrisg727
Volunteer Poster

Re: Weird Starting Problem

Postby chrisg727 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Winston, you nailed it! The ground lead was corroded where it is attached to the frame. The terminals were clean but I didn't check the ground point on the frame. So it was getting a good ground through my pickup when jumping it but not "stand alone." Thanks! :D

Return to “Tech Support”