Low oil pressure after Lucas additive?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Low oil pressure after Lucas additive?

Postby gwp » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:11 pm

YM2000
Sure don't intend to falsely accuse Lucas but right after adding a quart of oil treatment with oil change (rotella 15w40) my oil light which has always flickered at idle when up to operating temp, now comes on at higher rpms. I have an oil gauge too which confirms low pressure. I know I need a rebuild and plan to do this after mowing season but now I'm worrying that I'm doing damage. Oil light is NOT on at mowing rpms. Questions:
*Should I change oil removing the Lucas and see if there's a difference?
*Am I further damaging engine by using tractor rest of growing season?
Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Low oil pressure after Lucas additive?

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm

What additive did you use (looks like Lucas makes several) and how much of it did you put in? I could see how, if you already had low oil pressure and you put in an additive that slightly thinned the oil then it could cause your low pressure to continue at a higher RPM. Thinner oil will get out of the way faster and not allow pressure to build up.

What pressure does it show on your gauge at mowing RPM?

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Aaron. Used "Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer". Since I had just changed oil, I drained 1 quart and then added 1 quart additive. At 2k rpm showing about 25psi cold and about 15 at operating temp. I'm thinking I might drain it all and go straight rotella 15w40. Just want to ensure I'm not harming engine using it for a few more months. As long as I keep rpms up and light is out I should be ok, right? I see Hoye has a rebuild kit for the ym1500 but not for the ym2000. Is that correct? Thanks much!

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 pm

15psi at 2000 rpm seems pretty low to me. I think 40ish+ is normal. I don't know if it low enough that it is going to cause damage but I suspect that eventually it would. Something is already wrong if the pressure is that low though. Either the bearings have heavy wear on them or the pump is going bad or there is something else like maybe a clogged pickup tube screen.

I can't say if it is better to drain the Lucas and try to get a few extra psi or leave it in there and hope the anti-friction stuff the advertise does its job. I saw a TV show many years ago where they added that stuff (or similar) in the oil then removed the oil pan and ran the engine for a very long time at high speed without any oil in the engine at all. Not saying I would be willing to count on that but...

We can put together a 'kit' if you would like but it would really just be a bunch of individual pieces that you want/need. Just email what all you need or how far you are going (pistons + sleeves, for example, or just rings & rod bearings) and I can get a quote together. Every time we put together a pre-packaged kit there is always something in there that someone does not want.

Return to “Tech Support”