Suction side air leak. Visible fluid leakage at hoses?

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

777funk
Volunteer Poster

Suction side air leak. Visible fluid leakage at hoses?

Postby 777funk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 pm

I am having trouble with the 3 point on my new to me 336D. I think I hear air in the pump but not sure. The 3 point lift will go up sometimes (very slowly) and doesn't always drop down when the lever is moved downward. Sometimes it does and others not.

I'd like to submerge a flexible pressure line in a container of some sort and watch for bubbles. Is this possible?

If the suction side had an air leak, wouldn't I see fluid at the rubber hose connections or spin on filter since it's below the sump?

Pictures to follow.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Suction side air leak. Visible fluid leakage at hoses?

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 am

Have you cleaned your internal screen & replaced your spin on hydraulic filter lately? If it was sucking air you should be able to see your oil getting foamy (just by looking into the reservoir). Does your power steering still work?

777funk
Volunteer Poster

Re: Suction side air leak. Visible fluid leakage at hoses?

Postby 777funk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am

It must have been vapor locking (I think that's the term). I cleaned the screen and replaced the spin on and it's better now. I didn't change the o-ring at the pump to suction line fitting. I should also change that. If there is strong suction and a weak o ring, it'd be likely to pull air (and trash) in.

Return to “Tech Support”