Engine Rebuild Gone Bad

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Engine Rebuild Gone Bad

Postby winston » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 am

Although I don't think I have ever seen that before it would appear your head has holes in it. The way it is pitted would lead you to believe it sat on the ground for a long period of time. New heads are expensive but you may be facing that. I suppose no harm could come from trying a little liquid metal of some kind. However, your mention of smoke coming out still needs to be confirmed as to where it came from.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/CH-2000L.htm

https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/CH-2000.htm

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:37 pm

I'm not sure about the history of the tractor, in terms of the head sitting on the ground. I guess it's possible. During the rebuild a few months ago all surfaces were milled and of course new gaskets were used. I decided to try loosening the head bolts, I have 6 total on my engine, and torquing them in stages following information from this post, viewtopic.php?t=6799&start=30. Thank you to agirlandhertractor for the great post! I also torqued them again after a heat up/cool down cycle.

I was comparing the torque settings stated in that post versus what I have in my manual. While my manual doesn't specific address the head bolts with a torque amount, it does list the following table. Sorry it's upside down. It's not cooperating.
IMG_7145.jpg
IMG_7145.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 242 times

From past research I was thinking I needed to torque the head bolts up to about 78 ft lbs. My bolts aren't marked but I assume they a "hard steel" quality. My head bolts are 22mm. According to the chart I should torque them between 87-108 ft lbs.

My question is, does this sound correct? I do not want to damage anything for sure. Is it okay to torque mine a little more according to the chart?
Yanmar 2210

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:00 pm

final torque 130ft lbs + or - 3.6ft lbs. start in the middle and work to each end. 40, 65, 90, 130.

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Over the past couple of days I've torqued the head bolts as suggested. I've gone through a couple of heat/cooling cycles and retorqued afterwards. The head gasket leaks seemed to have gone away. I was fighting leaks around the valve cover each time I would reinstall it and then this final time I figured something out. I was tightening the valve cover bolts too much. I think it was warping the cover and creating leaks. The last time I tried just getting the bolts snug and there's no leaks. Took the tractor out and used the brushed cutter for about a half hour on knee to waste high grass/brush. It performed great. It's running better now than it did after the engine rebuild. Getting those valve clearances set correctly makes a big difference on horsepower. Hopefully all this stays good and I can get some work out of it. Thank you Winston for all your help on this project! This forum is a life saver, and money saver for those of us who like to try it our self and just need a little guidance.
Yanmar 2210

Return to “Tech Support”