3pt Hydraulic Failure

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

3pt Hydraulic Failure

Postby Zogler » Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 pm

So I recently had the engine rebuilt on my 2210. I also just replaced the hydraulic pump with a new one from Hoye. I've replaced the hydraulic fluid , and cleaned the screen filter, twice in the past 2 months because of sludge, from sitting for a couple of years before I rebuilt the engine.

It has a FEL and that is working properly. A few weeks ago I was attaching a mower to the 3pt hitch and it just quit lifting, with no warning. I piddled with it for a while, not really doing anything, and the 3pt lift started lifting again. I mowed for a few hours then it suddenly stopped lifting, again. I had to drop the mower where it sat and head back to the shed.

Today I opened all safety valves that I could locate, there were two, one directly above the 3pt control valve and another just above the pump input line. I was just looking for trash in these safety valves but didn't see any. Still nothing from the lift. I then removed the 3pt controller valve that is located inside the system. I cleaned out a little bit of sludge from this housing. I soaked the loader valve in some diesel fuel, rinsed it and such and even used some brake cleaner inside of his hoping to remove any trash or dissolve any sludge that may have been in the valve. I put it all back together and still got a disappointing nothing out of the 3pt lift. I believe there was a check valve inside this control unit but I could not get the nut to break loose that secured this valve to inspect the components. I wondering if this check valve may be stuck.

I have noticed that when I raise my FEL all the way up and then lower it quickly, the 3pt will raise up, but not with any power. This only occurs with the 3pt hitch empty(no implements on it.) I'm guessing this occurs due to some back flow of fluid in the system?

I've also confirmed that fluid is reaching the 3pt system but opening the line from the pump while the tractor is running and getting fluid to leak out.

I'm new to diesel systems and hydraulics so my knowledge is limited, but I have been researching learning by simply digging in. I'm wondering, maybe I have a check valve stuck that will not allow any pressure to build up on the 3pt piston? Maybe my loader valve is bad(though it looked good to me)? I do not have a tool to check my overall PSI on my hydraulic system but since my FEL seems to lift loads just fine, and I have a new pump, I'm assuming my pressure is sufficient. Anyone got any ideas? Thank you in advance!
Yanmar 2210

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 3pt Hydraulic Failure

Postby winston » Thu May 30, 2019 4:33 am

It must be plumbed correctly if it did work at one time. Do you have a parts manual? I am seeing 3 different spring loaded valves, wondering if you have pulled and checked all three?

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm

I have a service manual but most of the pics and descriptions for hydraulics are for another model tractor. So sometimes things match up and other times they do not. Yes, there were 3 spring loaded valves in the loader valve, the main valve, a second valve(it seemed to be some type of pressure balance valve as it seemed to work opposite of the main valve), and a safety check valve. I did not take the controller valve apart but rather soaked it in diesel hoping that would help dissolve any sludge. I was able to determine the main valve and the second valve moved just fine. The safety valve is enclosed and so I could not make sure it functioned properly. I think I'm going to remove it again today and attempt to disassemble the entire valve.
Yanmar 2210

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu May 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Email me for some info.
Last edited by winston on Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Thu May 30, 2019 7:06 pm

I removed the 3pt loader valve this evening, broke it down, and inspected the parts. In the check valve I found 4 small slivers of metal that had collected there. I'm hoping are remnants from the previous hydraulic pump's failure. I put it all back together and the 3pt hydraulic worked like new. Hopefully the problem with resolved but I am worried about where the metal slivers where from.
Yanmar 2210

Return to “Tech Support”