3 Point Control and Box Blade

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

hrtull
Volunteer Poster

3 Point Control and Box Blade

Postby hrtull » Sun May 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I rebuilt a YM186 last Winter. I purchased a 4 ft box blade to do driveway maintenance and other small project. The BB is matched well with the tractor size and does what I expected. I have owned several box blades over the past 45 years but only on larger tractors with few issues. I believe others have stated that trying to control BB or scraper blade is overly sensitive on this model or other similar models. Its almost an all or none up and down. Just curious if there is a way to overcome this issue. Maybe fabricating a a slotted guide for control arm to rest against like all other tractors I have operated. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks HRTULL

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 3 Point Control and Box Blade

Postby winston » Sun May 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Wish I could help you. I have studied the parts manual on the 186 3 point control and really can't understand how it all goes together. I cannot see a slotted guide on the parts list but I do believe most of these older Yanmars do have a slotted channel as you described and with a sliding stop to manage position control.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Don't know exactly what issues you are referring to, but I managed to overcome all of my YM2000B BB problems by just adjusting the drop speed lever. Just tap the handle up or down for complete control, like icing a cake :)

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am

I have noticed that the 186 and its gray sister the YM1510 are not really like the typical three point valves. They do seem to behave more like a toggle switch for some reason. Once you get used to it and, as norm said, adjust the drop speed- it seems to work just fine though.

hrtull
Volunteer Poster

Postby hrtull » Mon May 13, 2019 6:11 pm

A toggle switch is a good description. I set the drop control valve to allow for blade to drop fairly fast. Before I re adjust the valve control can you tell me if adjusting for a fast drop also make it rise faster too. My issue is when trying to spread the loaded box it jumps up very quickly with very little lever movement and discharges most of the material leaving a ridge. On larger tractors I could have it drop very quick but have a smooth an predictable up lift with smooth results. So, if decreasing the drop speed will decrease the up speed too , I will settle for a slower drop speed to allow for a smoother up motion. Thanks for your replies, HRTULL

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue May 14, 2019 8:08 am

can you tell me if adjusting for a fast drop also make it rise faster too.

Sorry it will not. I don't think there is a way to slow the lift speed (without changing the plumbing).

hrtull
Volunteer Poster

Postby hrtull » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I have only used BB for a few hours and with more seat time it will all work out. I just wanted to make sure I was not over looking something. Thanks again, HRTULL

Return to “Tech Support”