Starter Slow

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Tcdeer
Volunteer Poster

Starter Slow

Postby Tcdeer » Sat May 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I have a Yanmar 2000> I only use in in the summer for bush hogging. It is garage kept in winter. When I try to start it the motor turns over fast and then it bogs down.IT continues to turn but not as fast enough for it to fire. I have replaced the alternator and the voltage regulator recently trying to troubleshoot. It has always done this since Ive had it. Starts right up when it spins fast. Is it a starter problem? Battery is good although I'm not sure if the alternator is charging.Good it be a wiring issue?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Starter Slow

Postby winston » Mon May 13, 2019 5:07 am

Do you use the compression release? What voltage does your battery show before starting? What does a voltmeter show at battery when engine is running?

Tcdeer
Volunteer Poster

Postby Tcdeer » Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Winston, Yes I do use the compression release.Did a voltage check from battery when starting and at starter when starting.Had a slight voltage drop at starter so I replaced both cables.Voltage was at 10 volts at both locations after that.I pulled the starter and put it in the shop today and first indication on the bench was it was good and they were going to open it up and check it out.Waiting to hear back. If starter is good what else could it be? The fuse box is the original with no cover on it.seem to have diesel fuel and dirty on it??? The switch has some kind of jumper wire on it for some reason ?Electrical is not my thing would appreciate any help>12.7 before starting on the battery..750 cca

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am

Wondering how long you allow the engine to turn over. If in good shape, it should crank with just a few revolutions.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Battery is good, (12.7 v), try with jumper cables directly from Batt. posts to starter pos. and case ground.

Return to “Tech Support”