Removing/cutting off rear tire YM1601D

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Removing/cutting off rear tire YM1601D

Postby agirlandhertractor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Any tips/advice on how to remove 40 year old rear tires from a rim? I'm pretty certain the rims are a bit rusty but if they aren't too bad I'm going to have them sandblasted and powder coated before putting the new tires on.

I've changed dozens and dozens of motorcycle tires but never anything this tough or large.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Removing/cutting off rear tire YM1601D

Postby winston » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:25 pm

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 am

Or something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NKbBpdy1Y

The existing tires are garbage so I am ok destroying them to remove. :)

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am

The hardest part is getting the tire's bead broken loose from the wheel. Sometimes if you drive around a little (in the grass or dirt - not concrete) while the tire is flat & valve core is out it can help loosen them. I know that every time I had a low tire and DIDN'T want the tire to come off the bead it happened very quickly :D .

Once the beads are both broke loose you just need 2 large pry-bars. Use some dish soap as a lube helps also.

I've tried cutting a tire off once and it was a wreck. By the end I decided it was easier to just leave the tire in one piece. The hardest part was the metal cord that runs right along the bead. Even if you cut all of the rest of the tire off you still have to get that loose and you can't really get in there very good to cut it without cutting the wheel.

Desert Dave
Volunteer Poster

Postby Desert Dave » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Aaron wrote:The hardest part is getting the tire's bead broken loose from the wheel.

That's why I bought your turf tires mounted for my 1610D in '09, just R & R. The guy that bought the AG set was happy they were mounted too :D . As a side note Aaron, this turf set has worked out perfectly for my property and use, thanks for making them available.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:47 am

Truck tire shop, probably $10, especially if you swear to let them mount new. Better yet, take the new tires with you, just tell dealer you just need to refinish wheels before remounting. I had a YM2000 rear tube patched for $8 e few years back.
Last edited by Norm on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 am

Desert Dave wrote:
Aaron wrote:The hardest part is getting the tire's bead broken loose from the wheel.

Lower the wheel-less hub onto the tire next to the bead, it will pop.

That's why I bought your turf tires mounted for my 1610D in '09, just R & R. The guy that bought the AG set was happy they were mounted too :D . As a side note Aaron, this turf set has worked out perfectly for my property and use, thanks for making them available.

Return to “Tech Support”