2210 Hydraulic Pump Seized

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

2210 Hydraulic Pump Seized

Postby Zogler » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 pm

New to the forum and need some opinions.

I recently bought a 2210 with a FEL and had the engine rebuilt. It sat for a few years before we got it running. I just got it back and bush hogged for a few hours. I parked it and the next day cranked it and backed it up 10 feet. Then the hydraulics died. I found there was no fluid coming from the pump, but supply seems ok. Removed the pump and found the key sheared off because the pump seized. Disassembled the pump to find one of the two gears had seized up. Researching suggest these pumps aren’t serviceable so it looks like I’m buying a new pump. I don’t want to put a new pump on to have it seize too. I need thoughts on why it seized.

Other important info is that when the mechanic got the engine rebuilt he drove it 20 feet and the transmission quit. He found it to be very low on hydraulic fluid and the screen filter was clogged up with sludge.

My hypothesis is that running the engine on low fluid may have run the pump hot due to lack of lubricant. The metal parts heat up and expand reducing integrity of the metal. This led to it eventually seizing up even though I then had plenty of fluid at the time of failure.

If this is a likely cause then I am confident placing a new pump on. I’ll keep the fluid levels up better than the previous owner.

What are your thoughts? Thanks to everyone in advance.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: 2210 Hydraulic Pump Seized

Postby winston » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 pm

I like your thinking.

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:25 am

Update: I serviced the pump myself by cleaning up the parts with some steel wool. The pump seemed to spin fine after I did this so I installed it on the tractor with a new key. It worked like a charm for a about 10 hrs then sheared the key again. This time though I’ve noticed that when I turn the tractor hard right the engine bogs down, loosing RPM’s. I have hydraulic power steering. While I don’t believe this PS issue is the main problem with my hydraulic pump, I am wondering why it’s putting such a load on my HP and engine when I turn hard right. The hydraulic cylinder is retracted at this angle. I’ve also ordered a new HP and it’s on the way.

There’s no PS issues other than engine strain while turning hard right. No FEL or 3pt issues either. Fluid levels are good. Any ideas?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 am

Might be an adjustable stop on the wheel to avoid cylinder bottoming out and continuing to pressure up. Check this out. https://www.hoyetractor.com/support/kno ... article=56

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 am

It sort of sounds like the pressure relief valve in the power steering system is not working properly. Since the 2210 did not have a factory power steering option- that is something that was added by a previous owner and it might not have been plumbed correctly.

Zogler
Volunteer Poster

Postby Zogler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 am

I removed all my PS hydraulic lines and blew them out with an air hose, just to narrow down issues. My hp arrive yesterday so I installed it and I still loose rpm’s when turning hard right.

I will check for the stop adjustment, though I can’t seem to find those in my service manual so I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Can someone describe where these stops are on the front axle(mine is a 2wd)?

I haven’t seen a pressure relief valve on my PS system, at least not on the control box where the steering shaft enters and the 4 hydraulic lines attach. I’ll look again though.

Thank you.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 am

Yours could be like the 2000, note this. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7484&p=26645&hilit=steering+stop#p26645

Return to “Tech Support”