New battery, clean terminals on both ends- no turn over

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

New battery, clean terminals on both ends- no turn over

Postby agirlandhertractor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Thought my old battery was dead since it stopped even trying to start my YM1601D. So I bought a new one (I use duralast gold batteries designed for diesel trucks), and the same exact problem happens.

I cleaned and wire brushed both battery cable terminal ends (including the negative side that bolts to the frame), and still no dice.

When I turn the key over, there is no sound whatsoever. If I disconnect one of the terminals and reconnect sometimes I'll see the red instrument lights until I turn the key over - then nothing at all.

The battery is still fully charged.

Could this be a solenoid issue? What else would cause this silent failure?

hrtull
Volunteer Poster

Re: New battery, clean terminals on both ends- no turn over

Postby hrtull » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Put the tractor in neutral, brakes on. Take a jumper wire and go directly from battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid which is the light gauge wire from switch that is suppose to trigger solenoid. . Just touch it and see if you get a response from the solenoid. If you do problem is somewhere before the the solenoid. Could be a fuse, safety switch, ignition switch or corroded wire.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 am

Could also buy one of these to do the same thing hrtull has suggested. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-r ... 35448.html

You could also check your voltage at the starter with a multimeter. You should have 0 voltage at the small wire on the solenoid until activating the switch. 12.? when activating the switch. If not, your problem is before the starter.

Cables clean where they attach at the starter?

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:02 am

How do you know the battery is still fully charged? What is the voltage?

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Norm wrote:How do you know the battery is still fully charged? What is the voltage?

It's a brand new battery purchased one month ago. It's been on a trickle charger for 1 month inside my garage. Voltage read 12.70 a few minutes ago.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm

You will just need to check the voltages while running the starter (attempting to run the starter) and see where the voltage drops. If the voltage stays strong at the battery then move up to the terminal on the starter. At some point I feel like you will see 12v with the key off and then 0v when you try to run the starter.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:05 pm

hrtull wrote:Put the tractor in neutral, brakes on. Take a jumper wire and go directly from battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid which is the light gauge wire from switch that is suppose to trigger solenoid. . Just touch it and see if you get a response from the solenoid. If you do problem is somewhere before the the solenoid. Could be a fuse, safety switch, ignition switch or corroded wire.

Just did this test, step by step. No clicking or anything on the solenoid.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:15 pm

hrtull wrote:
Put the tractor in neutral, brakes on. Take a jumper wire and go directly from battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid which is the light gauge wire from switch that is suppose to trigger solenoid. . Just touch it and see if you get a response from the solenoid. If you do problem is somewhere before the the solenoid. Could be a fuse, safety switch, ignition switch or corroded wire.

That test does not eliminate the ground as a connection problem.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Aaron wrote:
hrtull wrote:

The battery terminal is brand new and clean as can be. The ground cable itself is in very good condition, no nicks, cuts or abrasions. I removed the other end of the negative cable where it attaches to the frame just under the engine. I degreased, cleaned, then wire brushed the mating surface. I also cleaned the brass terminal and installed with a brand new screw and nut. I have good metal to metal connectivity from frame to battery terminal.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Take the starter to an auto house, have it tested, then repair it.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:00 pm

But a starter problem would not cause this:

If I disconnect one of the terminals and reconnect sometimes I'll see the red instrument lights until I turn the key over - then nothing at all.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Aaron wrote:But a starter problem would not cause this:

If I disconnect one of the terminals and reconnect sometimes I'll see the red instrument lights until I turn the key over - then nothing at all.

Your right, but I would still have the starter checked, an easy project. Or maybe just check it with jumper cables.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:46 pm

agirlandhertractor wrote:
Aaron wrote:
hrtull wrote:

The battery terminal is brand new and clean as can be. The ground cable itself is in very good condition, no nicks, cuts or abrasions. I removed the other end of the negative cable where it attaches to the frame just under the engine. I degreased, cleaned, then wire brushed the mating surface. I also cleaned the brass terminal and installed with a brand new screw and nut. I have good metal to metal connectivity from frame to battery terminal.

Repeat the same procedure, only salso using another jumper cable directly from battery to the starter case, bypassing all grounds.This will prove or eliminate starter as problem. If no go remove starter and try again, (possible seized engine). Do this on floor or in vise as starter should jump violently.

agirlandhertractor
Volunteer Poster

Postby agirlandhertractor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am

Something weird happened last night. After testing for voltage at the switch and regulator with my multimeter, for kicks I turned the keyswitch on and the dash lights came on. Went ahead to try starting and the tractor started right up.

The funny thing is that I changed absolutely nothing. Didn't disconnect any connectors or wiggle anything around (other than what might have happened when the ignition switch was removed from the panel).

So that confirms that my starter and solenoid appear to be OK.

greenmaster
Volunteer Poster

Postby greenmaster » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Its not normal. You have a short circuit somewhere, 100% sure. If it happens again, check for starter key assembly.

Return to “Tech Support”