New-to-me YM1500D with some issues and questions

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: New-to-me YM1500D with some issues and questions

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Pretty sure both are suppose to be straight.

Yes it is.

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm

Aaron wrote:
Pretty sure both are suppose to be straight.

Yes it is.

I figured as much... 40+ years of wear and tear! haha, explains why I have so much play in my steering!

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 pm

yzrmbsg wrote:
6. The suction screen appears to be the one Hoye sells from the pic on the website, it wasn't completely caked with crud, but it definitely needed cleaned... what I didn't do, was pay attention to what direction the screen came out. One end of the screen has the metal mesh covering the end, the other end does not, and doesn't appear to have any marks on the housing that it ever did.... are they directional? I put the screen in with the covered mesh end in facing the suction hose.

Turns out...You were right Aaron (I knew you were), just confirmed it today. The OPEN end of the suction screen NEEDS to be on the suction hose side! I ran the tractor for about 10 minutes today, making sure I was not depressing the plunger on the 3ph and using the loader at the same time.... box blade was down fully and loader was just high enough to clear the ground in front me.... ALL hydraulics quit after that 10 minutes and the pump was HOT again.

So I parked, swapped the screen, and low and behold, ran the tractor for an hour and a half with 0 hydraulic issues. Did some loader testing, box blading, drove around while operating both (not at the same time) and it worked like it should.

Lesson of the story.... PAY ATTENTION to what direction you pull the screen out and place it back in after cleaning.

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:09 pm

During my hour and a half of tractoring today....another issue came about. when in 4 wheel drive, every few turns of the front wheels, it seemed to "skip", make a clanking noise, then catch and continue forward. it didn't do it continuously, but happened a hand full of times while I was box blading in both high and low range, low gear.

Any ideas what this could be?

Of course this would happen AFTER I already placed my Hoye order. Ugh.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 am

I would try to course the noise. Might try jacking it up, rotate by hand. Could be in driveshaft, differential, or wheel units. I wouldn't want to run it much until repairs are made.

Threeweight
Volunteer Poster

Postby Threeweight » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am

Your bent steering rod must be a pretty common problem... my red 1500D has the same bend to it! Hoye has replacements for $185.

I wonder if it is possible to sleeve them, like tie rods on a pickup, to strengthen the whole assembly.

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm

winston wrote:I would try to course the noise. Might try jacking it up, rotate by hand. Could be in driveshaft, differential, or wheel units. I wouldn't want to run it much until repairs are made.

I did jack up the front end yesterday to try and see what was going on, no binding, clanking, clicking, etc... I ordered some new deals from Hoye, so I will be breaking into the knuckles at some point (BIL is coming to visit this weekend, so probably won't be able to get to it until next weekend).

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Threeweight wrote:Your bent steering rod must be a pretty common problem... my red 1500D has the same bend to it! Hoye has replacements for $185.

I wonder if it is possible to sleeve them, like tie rods on a pickup, to strengthen the whole assembly.

I saw the replacement on Hoye's, I think I'll pull it off when I replace the seals on the knuckles and see if I can straighten it out...we'll see!

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Bent steering arms should not be causing your steering play. I would check the end knuckles for play before bothering to straighten. Would try that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It can save you a lot of work. It has stopped my bush hog output seal leak for over ten years.

O~o\
Volunteer Poster

Postby O~o\ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 am

"when in 4 wheel drive, every few turns of the front wheels, it seemed to "skip", make a clanking noise, then catch and continue forward. "

I'd pull the front driveshaft cover and inspect the splines for wear from "jumping." If there isn't enough spring tension or the splines are worn, you will get a clank noise when the shaft skips. There are 6-8 BB's interfacing between the shaft and the pinion input. I suspect worn spline.

When I toasted my driveshaft (2210D), It made that nasty clanking sound. One new driveshaft (and some mods) restored 4x4. I hope this helps!

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

O~o\ wrote:"when in 4 wheel drive, every few turns of the front wheels, it seemed to "skip", make a clanking noise, then catch and continue forward. "

I'd pull the front driveshaft cover and inspect the splines for wear from "jumping." If there isn't enough spring tension or the splines are worn, you will get a clank noise when the shaft skips. There are 6-8 BB's interfacing between the shaft and the pinion input. I suspect worn spline.

When I toasted my driveshaft (2210D), It made that nasty clanking sound. One new driveshaft (and some mods) restored 4x4. I hope this helps!

I read a couple of posts last night with similar issues about inspecting the driveshaft and BB's, I will definitely look there first.

The splines were worn on your driveshaft? Not on the front diff shaft? What "mods" did you do?

ratman1978
Volunteer Poster

Postby ratman1978 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30 am

Good day yz,
Also a 1500d owner and now that it has warmed a bit I thought I would share pics of the steering that you had question about. The one on the left side looks to be bent as yours is and shows not sign of not being normal. The one under the front looks like it is straight. Felt it was all normal until you posted and now I had to look. Thanks a lot! LOL
left 3.jpg
left 3.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 954 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 954 times

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 am

ratman1978 wrote:Good day yz,
Also a 1500d owner and now that it has warmed a bit I thought I would share pics of the steering that you had question about. The one on the left side looks to be bent as yours is and shows not sign of not being normal. The one under the front looks like it is straight. Felt it was all normal until you posted and now I had to look. Thanks a lot! LOL
left 3.jpg
front.jpg

I'm almost wondering if it has to do with steering stops non existent or working properly as the "bend" appears to be where the tire would make contact with it on a hard left turn. Who really knows being 40+ years old what these things have been subjected to.

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Well, finally got around to working on the front end of my tractor..... I have a GREEN 1500D with RED front wheel drive knuckles.....SON OF B****! The large seals I just tore out.... are about 10mm larger than the ones I ordered. Ugh.

Not sure if the axle seal and bottom knuckle gasket will fit yet, haven't got that far.

Aaron! help please!

yzrmbsg
Volunteer Poster

Postby yzrmbsg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Aaron, I submitted a ticket!

Neither of the 2 seals (large one or axle) fit and neither do the gaskets :(:(

Return to “Tech Support”