YM2210D - over run clutch

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Pepis
Volunteer Poster

YM2210D - over run clutch

Postby Pepis » Tue May 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Hello guys!

Another question from me:

I bought wood chopper like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audhD8grBGI

and seller said I need pto shaft with clutch more less 1200 Nm (958 lb?)

This chopper required 22 HP at least.

What is your opinion about value of clutch to save my PTO mechanism ?
Isn`t 958 lbs is too much ?

http://allegro.pl/walek-wom-ze-sprzegle ... 97570.html (sorry that in polish language - it`s shaft with clutch about 380 lbs - I guess It will be fine but what you say ?)

And another question:

I can`t find size of ROPS bolts from it.

Photo

I was trying M12 and M14 from metric and also 1/2 inch (about 12,7 mm) and it`s little loose.
Have you any info about right size of those bolts?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2210D - over run clutch

Postby winston » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 am

I would definitely want a slip clutch with that chipper.

I do not understand the weights you are giving in relation to the drive shaft. Drive shafts do not weigh that much.

Bolts are M13

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

I think NM is the way they label the pto torque rating of the shaft in other countries. 1200nm is 885 ft/lbs. I'm not really sure how to find out how many horsepower that would be similar to but I'm sure there is an online calculator somewhere for that. We rate the shafts by HP in the USA. You will want a slip clutch - not an overruning clutch. They serve different purposes.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/overrun.htm

I believe the bolts are M14 2.0 thread but I'm not 100% sure.

PatrickHanna
Volunteer Poster

Postby PatrickHanna » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 am

When running at 2,200 rpms, 885 ft lbs is about 370 horsepower. I don't see how a slip clutch with that high of a torque rating could protect your tractor.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am

PatrickHanna wrote:When running at 2,200 rpms, 885 ft lbs is about 370 horsepower. I don't see how a slip clutch with that high of a torque rating could protect your tractor.

Pepis stated 380 ft lbs which would translate to 515nm. What hp would that translate too?

PatrickHanna
Volunteer Poster

Postby PatrickHanna » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

The problem with converting from torque to horsepower is that power is a measurement of work done over time, so to go from torque to horsepower, or back again, you need to specify the RPM.

I was thinking 2200 rpm engine speed, but that was wrong. I need to use the 540 rpm PTO speed. For the 885 foot pounds the dealer said, that would be around 91 horsepower at 540 rpm. For the 380 foot lbs (I can't see the link to that clutch, I'm at work and foreign sites are blocked) clutch, that would be 39 horsepower.

The way I understand this, you would want a slip clutch so that if the chipper jammed, the clutch would slip and protect both the tractor and wood chipper from damage. Like a shear bolt, but reusable. I'm guessing those ratings are what the clutch needs to be to protect the chipper from damage, not the tractor. I know if I put too much load on my pto that my tractor just stalls out, but that's always if the load is gradually increasing, like trying to drive a rotary mower through tall grass too fast. I would imagine that just suddenly stopping a rotating pto, like if a rock got caught in a wood chipper, wouldn't be any good for the tractor either.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the rating for the clutch have to be close to the pto hp for the tractor? I know that the chipper can handle more horsepower but if the clutch is rated above the pto horsepower of the tractor, the tractor isn't going to be able to make the clutch slip anyway.

The formula for converting from torque (in ft lbs) to horsepower is: torque x rpm / 5252. So the 380 ft lbs above it would be 380 x 540 / 5252 = 39 hp. One horsepower is 550 foot pounds per second.

Pepis
Volunteer Poster

Postby Pepis » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

As like PatrickHanna said - I need slip clutch (not overrun like I said before ) to protect mainly tractor when chipper get stuck on one second.

In Europe we use Nm (Newton meter) but od you explain me how to find correct shaft on your way I'll convert it to Nm.

Chipper is well built and I'm not affraid of demage it - even if - repair will cost less than tractor.

To claculate it before maybe I used wrong convert webstie

PatrickHanna
Volunteer Poster

Postby PatrickHanna » Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I would think that your PTO shaft would need to be rated to handle whatever your PTO horsepower rating is. You aren't going to be moving while you're using this, meaning you will have the transmission in neutral, so I can't see you needing to size the shaft larger like you might need to do for a rotary cutter without an overrunning clutch. But don't take my word on that. Wait for Winston or Aaron or someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm

So correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the rating for the clutch have to be close to the pto hp for the tractor? I know that the chipper can handle more horsepower but if the clutch is rated above the pto horsepower of the tractor, the tractor isn't going to be able to make the clutch slip anyway.

All of the slip clutches that I have used were adjustable to some extent. You could loosen them enough that you could make it slip by hand if you wanted to. You just tightened up bolts with springs under them to make it harder to slip. You would want to get one close to your HP but it does not need to be anywhere near exact.

If you had a 50hp tractor, for example, then a clutch rated for 75hp would still work fine but a clutch rated for 30hp would not be heavy duty enough. A clutch rated for 200hp would be overkill and might be hard to 'dial in' correctly.

Pepis
Volunteer Poster

Postby Pepis » Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm

On your picture is exactly shaft with clutch what I need. So I get one and I'll try to find correct setting by trying in work.

Thank you !

Return to “Tech Support”