Rear End Locked

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Flynbryn05
Volunteer Poster

Rear End Locked

Postby Flynbryn05 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 am

I just replaced the hi/low range handle, selector and fork on my Yanmar 2000.

Now the rear end will not go into neutral (with it on jacks, as sitting on it, if i roll the left tire forward - the right tire goes in reverse). This was with tractor still split. i put the tractor back to one piece hoping i could rock it and unlock something - no luck. All i did in the transmission was remove the shaft, changed the hi/low fork and put back together. i have all the gears when shifting with the tractor not running. The PTO 1-N-2-3 locks the PTO like it should. The hi/low range move the dear in the transmission like it should. With it in Neutral, brakes released i cannot push tractor.

i have not done anything with the tractor running for fear of damaging something.

I did push the right foot lever to engage the positive drive to remove the shifter and linkage for the hi/low range - could this be effecting it?

Should i just fill it up with hydraulic fluid and start it and see what happens....

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: Rear End Locked

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am

Should i just fill it up with hydraulic fluid and start it and see what happens

No. If you can't make it move by hand then trying to make it move with 24 horsepower will cause problems.

Did you remove the gear shifter assembly from the top of the transmission? It sounds like maybe you have two gears engaged at the same time which can happen if a fork misses the gear when you re-assemble.

Flynbryn05
Volunteer Poster

Postby Flynbryn05 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:33 am

i removed the shifter (8) as an assembly,

i removed the assembly under that as an assembly with the forks attached.

i split the tractor, removed rod 26 on shift lever diagram, removed/replaced the hi-lo fork (25) and shift lever (22). replaced the ball and spring in the hi-low fork as well. (I replaced Item 21, 22, 25,43, and 20 in the Shift Lever Diagram)

reassembled.

Rear end would not roll forward. Left tire would roll forward but cause right tire to roll backwards.

The hi-low gear (25 in transmission internal) slides forward/aft when selectin hi-lo with shifter with no problems.

What gears do i need to check to see if they are engaged?

Flynbryn05
Volunteer Poster

Postby Flynbryn05 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

When i move the shift lever thru 1-2-3-4-R-N without the tractor running it feels as if i have all the gears/positions.

I looked at the 3 shift forks and they seem to be in the grooves for the bearings.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:42 am

Left tire would roll forward but cause right tire to roll backwards

That is the normal function of an open differential but I think you are saying that you are not able to roll both tires the same direction? You can't push the tractor forward when it is on the ground and transmission range, gear, and PTO in neutral?

Flynbryn05
Volunteer Poster

Postby Flynbryn05 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 pm

I could not roll the back half when in was split without the wheels fighting each other. At no time could i get it to roll forward.

Tractor is now put back together. Gear shift in Neutral, PTO shaft in Neutral ( verified by spinning shaft. will not spin if in 1-2-3 position)
Tried hi-lo shifter in both positions - i cannot get tractor to roll. Tried pushing clutch and it did not change anything.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Watch this video showing how he gets it in neutral. You are bound to be hitting 2 gears at once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcMk015qSA

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Is the differential lock still engaged. Not sure what that would cause in neutral but could be involved, since you said you engaged it. Could be almost anything at this point.

Flynbryn05
Volunteer Poster

Postby Flynbryn05 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Watched video. I had neutral. Everything looked ok. Wheels just wouldn't turn right.

Put it in gear, cranked over slow but didn't start. No strange sounds. Wheels moved proper.

Started. Nothing out of ordinary. Pulled forward two feet with no issues.
Couldn't drive due to darkness and now rain.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :shock:

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 am

Are you saying it fixed itself, or there was no problem?

Return to “Tech Support”