Overheating? Totally new cooling system

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Overheating? Totally new cooling system

Postby gwp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Ym2000
New radiator, water pump, hoses, totally reworked head with new parts. Finally was able to do some mowing (4' finish mower....very light load on tractor) and when done I brought down to an idle at which time temp light came on. I grabbed infrared thermometer and got readings on head up to 210. The water pump at the sender was running around 185. Shut it down and restarted few minutes later and light stayed on when getting readings of 145 at sender. Obviously, the sender is bad but this site states operating temp should be 150-180 so I'm way hotter than this. I didn't precisely measure 50-50 ratio coolant but did it visually. Temperature here was around 80 today. Any ideas as to why I'm over 20 degrees hot with completely new cooling system? Thanks much

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Overheating? Totally new cooling system

Postby winston » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Not saying I am right but my opinion is your temperature is fine. My old 2002D run in that same range.

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks Winston...that's encouraging. This thought just hit me.....is it normal for temp readings right on the head to be above "operating temperature"? Maybe I'm ok!

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Temp light coming on not ok. If nothing found, try replaceing the sender, also saw nothing about flushing the block, (system back-flush).

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 am

My experience in using the laser thermometer shows a vast difference in readings according to where you read on the engine. If you go around on the exhaust side and read on the head close to the exhaust you will get high readings. Go to the intake side of the head and you will get low readings, etc, etc. Replace your sender and see what happens.

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:37 am

Will definitely replace sender right away. I did back flush engine but now realize you are correct....a variety of temp readings are seen at different places on block. A sender only reports overheating at the sender, and if water passages in block are clear, those high readings are not a problem. Gonna toss the idiot light and get a gauge. Thanks again for help

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 am

Your probably know but the sender will have to match the gauge and the Yanmar threads are m16 - 1.5

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Ordered gauge kit today from the great company who provides this site. THANK YOU

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm

You should get a correct reading at the radiator opening, cap off, with a cooking thermometer. Same temp as when passing sender, not yet cooled by dropping through radiator and passing by fan. you get all kinds of readings with that infrared thermometer depending on how close you are to the 800* combustion chamber. (You may get some overflow from expansion, if you run with cap off, even with everything right)

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

All good here. Installed temp gauge and tried it out today with finish mower. Topped out at 165. Darn old temp sender about gave me stroke. Hallelujah......this drama is over. Wonder if an additive might help with blow by? It's not bad but have heard Lucas is making some top end stuff that is pretty good.....probably a waste of $. Thanks again

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm

If the cost doesn't break you why not give it a try. Don't think it could do much damage.

Return to “Tech Support”