Tractor lugs when loader is -not- in use.

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Tractor lugs when loader is -not- in use.

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am

Hello,

Yanmar 336d with a Yanmar loader that runs well but seems to bog down the engine when the loader is not in use. When working the loader joystick, the engine is relieved of its burden (so to speak) until the joystick is retuned to the neutral position. The joystick valve is a Kanik (sp) brand made in the UK. I just got the tractor so I am unsure if everything is routed correctly. There are no apparent leaks and the 3pth goes up and down (though not as high as I would have expected). New hydraulic fluid (303), new hydraulic filter and the screen has been cleaned. I'll try to post a picture of the loader valve soon. It has an "in" and "out" port on the inboard side, the four valves for the loader operation, and what I presume to be the "power beyond" valve on the outboard side. The PBY port is capped.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Cory

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Tractor lugs when loader is -not- in use.

Postby winston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Sounds to me like your power beyond plug is installed but not hooked up for power beyond. If so, your loader relief valve is likely going off and that is why your tractor sounds loaded.

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks, Winston.

Forgive my ignorance, but how should I remedy this? Does the power beyond need to be attached to something?

COry

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 pm

If we could get the correct name and model number of your valve we might be able to find instructions on google.

"If" the plug is installed then yes, the power beyond should be hooked up but without some knowledge of your valve I can only guess at what is going on. Or possibly remove the plug and continue to use as it is now plumbed.

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm

The valve maker is Kontak. There is no model number that I can see. I am having difficulty attaching pics. Even with my camera set to the lowest image quality this site says my file size is too large. Standby and I'll keep trying.
Last edited by corymorse on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Sorry to embed a URL. I couldn't find a better way to upload the pictures...

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/corym ... er%20valve

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Do you know who installed the loader and valve? Might be a source of getting information.

I used the word plug and some valve makers do use plugs and some use power beyond sleeves. I would try finding a dealer or information if the installer can't be located.

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks, Winston.

Unfortunately,the previous owner had passed andI bought it from the estate. Based on some of the things I've "found"maintenance wise, I'd say the gentleman was a better woodcutter than mechanic. After looking at the owner's manual, I don't think the lines were run correctly from the block under the seat to the valve. I think the "outlet" line and the PBY line are reversed? If I'm looking at the manual correctly, the PBY should return to the port on the side of the tranny.

I'll dig further tomorrow and post an update.

Thanks again,

Cory

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 pm

https://www.hoyetractor.com/remote.htm

You apparently do not have an "open center" valve, which allows for unobstructed fluid passage when off, oras you said, routed incorrectly.

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks, Norm.

Looking at the owner's manual, it looks like the power beyond port of the valve should return to the "tank" (tranny). It appears the "out" line from the valve was routed it back to the hydraulic block (left side of the seat) and then plugged the PBY port. Interestingly, the loader works as does the 3pth. But as Winston pointed out, the lugging likely had to do with the loader relief valve thankfully doing its job.

I appreciate the help, men. I'll post the results of the fix tomorrow.

Cory

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:13 pm

The loader relief valve may be the only thing preventing you from dead-heading, (destroying), your pump when the loader valve is closed, (off).

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 am

If hooked up for power beyond the PB port should go back to the 3 point and the outlet should dump into the tank (transmission reservoir).

corymorse
Volunteer Poster

Postby corymorse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am

OK, it is fixed.

Lots of factors came into play:

1) feeble eyes that misread the in/out ports on the loader valve and/or fat fingers that mis-traced the line from the 3pt block to the loader valve.
WHICH caused:
2) the line from the PBY to be incorrectly routed to the return.
3) fatigue -> confusion-> frustration last night
4)old fittings and a leaking soft suction pipe (see my other thread) causing air intrusion.

Other than that, piece of cake!

Fortunately, my ignorance did not cause hydraulic pump issues.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Tech Support”