New Guy with 1401D Engine knock issues

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

snappydon
Volunteer Poster

New Guy with 1401D Engine knock issues

Postby snappydon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 am

Hi everyone, New guy here with a post regarding a YM1401D I have.

I bought a well neglected YM1401D a couple years ago and have slowly been trying to get it back in shape.

It has spent its entire life outside and as such is in pretty rough looking condition. it only shows 586 hours on the meter.

When I bought it it started right up but ran a bit rough, and seemed to have a "rattle or knock" on #3 and there was evidence that #3 injector had been messed with. So I had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt by a reputable diesel shop here in the PNW. I also bought a new fuel filter assembly from Aaron and installed all new seals and washers etc, in the injector bores. While apart I checked as well as I could in the inner injector pieces, everything seems to look good.

After reassembly I bled the system according to the support site method. After 2-10 second sessions of cranking with the lines cracked open it started right up as soon as I closed the lines while cranking. Still runs rough...It also has a knock that is present at #3 when the fuel line is tight and the injector is getting fuel. If I crack the line while idling the knock goes away and the cylinder loses power.

So I'm thinking that the cylinder is getting fuel but under power it might be knocking due to a bad rod bearing or wrist pin maybe?

If so..Can I replace the rod bearing while the engine is inframe?

Input and advice is eagerly accepted.

Thanks

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: New Guy with 1401D Engine knock issues

Postby winston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Pretty sure you can.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Yes, rod bearings can be replaced inframe.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm

That's a lot of work because "it might be knocking" and "seems to have a little rattle or knock". That could as easily be because of carbon build-up. If mine, I would try a fuel additive/carbon cleaner, (Power Service comes to mind), re-bleed the fuel system, make sure you have good, fresh fuel, and drive it for a while. My YM2000B has sounded like the pistons are swapping cylinders for 17 years, but starts and runs perfectly.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am

Do you think the #3 injector ended up back in the same hole? If so, I would try swapping them and see if the sound follows the injector. Might just be something wrong with the injector.... even if it tested ok.

Return to “Tech Support”