Gannon EK 42

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Desert Dave
Volunteer Poster

Gannon EK 42

Postby Desert Dave » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:08 am

OK guys & gals, my web searching skills must be really lacking :oops: and I hate to even ask this but can anyone tell me what the aprox weight of a Gannon EK 42 box blade is? I've got a line on one in mint condition but it may be a bit much for my desert ground and my 1610D.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Gannon EK 42

Postby winston » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 am

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 am

Winston, you put me in mind of a saying by Noah Webster: "Knowledge is of two kinds. You can know something or you can know where to find it."

Dave, it will be at the limit of your hitch's lift capacity when empty, especially if mounted far back. If it won't lift you might fabricate one caster wheel on a shaft that you can raise/lower at the back center. But Gannons are to be pulled more than lifted so the limitation may be traction if you want to really slice into hard ground.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 am

[quote="alan"]Winston, you put me in mind of a saying by Noah Webster: "Knowledge is of two kinds. You can know something or you can know where to find it."

Good saying, and very true. I mostly depend on the latter. :mrgreen:

Desert Dave
Volunteer Poster

Postby Desert Dave » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 am

alan wrote:Winston, you put me in mind of a saying by Noah Webster: "Knowledge is of two kinds. You can know something or you can know where to find it."

Dave, it will be at the limit of your hitch's lift capacity when empty, especially if mounted far back. If it won't lift you might fabricate one caster wheel on a shaft that you can raise/lower at the back center. But Gannons are to be pulled more than lifted so the limitation may be traction if you want to really slice into hard ground.

Winston, thanks for the link, you da man :wink: .
Good points to consider Alan. I thought I've seen my 1610D had a 3PT capacity of close to 800#s. My ground has around a 6" kind of "hard crust" then it's easy. Have to ask about mounted too far back. My 3PT mounting pins are just past the tires, is that normal or extended?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 am

Don't know it for fact but my opinion is the 1610 would handle the weight of the blade without problems. Box blades are pretty close to the rear wheels.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 am

I can look it up but from memory the lift capacity of my 226, a bigger model than yours, is just over 500 lbs 2' aft of the lower-arms pins. When I talked about where an attachment is mounted, I should have said where its center of gravity is, and a Gannon's is pretty far back.

If you can get it easily and find it won't do the job, they're pretty easy to sell. (Gannon was an early brand; today most buyers would know it as a box blade.) If you do get it and find it will lift, the wheel idea is still useful because if you drive over bumps with a heavy attachment up, the lift-arms could snap. The metal on your tractor is entering its fourth decade.

Return to “Tech Support”