YM2000 hard cold start and overheating

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

gwp
Volunteer Poster

YM2000 hard cold start and overheating

Postby gwp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Just bought a YM 2000. Starts immediately after it has warmed up but when it's cold it struggles badly and Billows black smoke as it is trying to start. Once it has started there is no smoke whatsoever from the exhaust . Also getting a fair amount of smoke from what I believe to be the crankcase vent running down the right side of the block. I have insured a hot battery. I am using the decompression procedure as well as Thermo start, even with some diesel in the container. Today i hooked up a 4ft finishing mower and was able to put a load on the tractor. It ran beautifully for about 15 minutes and then overheated. My plan is to do a compression check and according to what I read I should have around 500 PSI? Please advise if I am on the right track. Thanks

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Re: YM2000 hard cold start and overheating

Postby Norm » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Have you done routine operator maintenance? Requires same as a car, except for ignition, and possibly bleeding fuel lines after fuel filter change.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Your are on target with expected compression. Have you checked radiator fins inside and out for blockage?

Excess blow by and hard to start cold are classic of low compression. Not saying you have that, but something very possible.

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Update.....Hope this newbie isnt wearing you out but....you know how it is....just can't get this off my mind until I figure out my best plan. Pretty sure I have blown head gasket as when I start without radiator cap it is blowing bubbles and overflowing coolant immediatly after starting cold. So....I certainly need to determine if problem is deeper and in need of rings too (smoke from crankcase vent) so as to do all this in one project. I have a diesel compression tester and assume it connects in place of injectors? But, assuming my readings are low, how do I determine if it's caused from the head gasket or rings? Any advice greatly appreciated! Norm....just saw your reply...I have not replaced fuel filter or purged fuel lines, but with the addition info contained in this post do you think it would matter? Also, in the event I need a rebuild (rings, etc.) are there instructions available anywhere. Thanks again

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Yes, sounds like blown head gasket. Torque specs, etc. have all been posted in this forum at one time or the other. If you can't find them someone will help. No doubt you could get a false reading if the head gasket is blown. Just noting your comment about blow by would indicate ring and or cylinder wear.

This sight has an adapter for checking compression if you determine to go that route or maybe you already have a set up to do that.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/CTA.htm

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Wow...thanks for prompt feedback! Based on all the air introduced into the cooling system soooo quickly after cold start, I feel certain of blown head gasket. I guess there is no conclusive test to determine condition of rings and cylinder wall in the presence of a bad head gasket so I have no choice other than to replace head gasket, reassemble, and then compression test again to determine if rings/cylinder wall are good. You guys are a Godsend. Thanks so much!

Hnewman144
Volunteer Poster

Postby Hnewman144 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I just rebuilt the engine with the help from some of these guys on my YM1500. It's a peice of cake. The good thing about these little engines, or at least the 1500, has wet sleeves. So if there's any doubt about the condition of your cylinder walls if you decide to go in then they can be replaced and then you know what you have. My engine was just smoking bad and had pretty good bit of blow by. Put new rings, pistons, liners, and rod bearings and also had the head checked and vatted now she runs like a top. Rebuild could be done on a good Saturday and like I said, incredibly easy to do an inframe over haul on these things.

Hnewman144
Volunteer Poster

Postby Hnewman144 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 pm

By the way. Winston, Norm, and Aaron are slick on these yanmars. I bugged them to death with questions and they answered everything I threw at them!

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Hnewman.....love the confidence you impart! THANK YOU. Could someone explain "wet sleeves". I agree that if you gonna dig that deep, go on and do it all so as to know what you have. ......even tho I have no exhaust smoke as you had. The only smoke emitted is black and billowed as it is struggling to start while cold. But do have some coming from crankcase vent. Saying thanks seems so lame but i sincerely appreciate the help. However this is only the beginning.....

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 am

Hnewman144
Volunteer Poster

Postby Hnewman144 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 am

Yeah the sleeves are just what the pistons slide up and down in. Wet means there's water on the other side of the sleeves to cool the pistons.

alan
Volunteer Poster

Postby alan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 am

You could phone diesel shops and ask if they have a Snap-on hydrocarbon sniffer. When you find one, bring a sample of coolant and they can tell you if the gasket's leaking.

RJB
Volunteer Poster

Postby RJB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I had a YM2500 with a bad head gasket that had a large amount of blow by. When I replace the gasket all was good [no more blow by]!

gwp
Volunteer Poster

Postby gwp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks much for all the replies. Contacted Nubbin at hoye parts and wow how refreshing to speak to someone so knowledgeable, friendly and so willing to help (just like you guys). Parts should arrive tmrw and hope to get done this weekend. We decided to forego to total rebuilt and just replace head gasket for now since I'm having no exhaust smoke. Think I'll pull the radiator and have it rodded just for peace of mind too. Thanks again!

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 am

My thoughts exactly on the HG job. I would forego pulling the radiator and try back-flushing first. That will also clear the block passages.

Return to “Tech Support”