F215D Proper Start sequence

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Sweet Tatorman
Volunteer Poster

F215D Proper Start sequence

Postby Sweet Tatorman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm

As posted in my first thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8282
I am working on a model F215D belonging to some friends of mine. It is apparent that the owners are not that familiar with their own tractor even after 5 years of ownership. As is likely typical for a grey model they received it with no documentation. When I asked him to demonstrate the starting sequence he simply turned the key to start and it started up. Why don't you use the compression release I ask? What's that he says? At the moment I am staring at the compression release knob which is located above the clutch pedal and has an unmistakable graphic on it indicating its function. Upon investigation I find that it is immovable having never been pulled out in many years. I pulled on it as hard as I thought prudent short of breaking the knob. No go. Does this tractor have some form of starting pre heat I ask? No he says.
Aaron has been kind enough to provide a wiring diagram in response to my solicitation in the above mentioned thread. Upon studying the diagram provided it is apparent that some form of pre heat is present along with what may be an associated timer or relay. Since only a single heating element is depicted rather that three as I would expect for glow plugs I am wondering if this model uses the Yanmar thermostart system. While I wasn't looking for it, I nonetheless do not recall seeing the little fuel container that is associated with thermostart. My questions are as follows:
1) What form of pre heat does this model use and does it have an associated timer?
2) If it has a timer is there an associated light on the dash that should illuminate during the heating cycle?
3) What it the proper start sequence for this model?
4) I am still hoping someone can identify the function on this electrical device located near the voltage regulator
Attachments
0304180727_resized.jpg
0304180727_resized.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 953 times

alan
Volunteer Poster

Re: F215D Proper Start sequence

Postby alan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Not familiar with the F series but generally, start thus.

In neutral, hand throttle at idle detent, foot throttle and clutch pedal down.

Hold key cc against its spring for 10 sec. Pull out decomp control. Turn key to crank engine ("Start") for about 2 sec. (If it's not spinning fast, see to the battery.) While cranking, release decomp.

If it runs, release key and let up on foot so it runs as slowly as you can manage. Gently release clutch pedal. If no start, don't crank for more than 10 sec. Try again.

Norm
Volunteer Poster

Postby Norm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 pm

. . . . or, simply turn the key and start it up.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

I know the 2 digit F series had a fairly simple timer and an indicator light. You just turned the key to 'on'... waited for the light to go out, and started it up. I would assume the newer models probably also use a timer of some kind only made it much more complex. The heater plate is located in the intake manifold.
1.jpg
1.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Return to “Tech Support”